• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Ran into this issue recently. Called about landscaping tree debris removal from curb. Was told that if I cut and piled debris they would remove. If I paid to have work done then it was the responsibility of the company to remove but county would pick up for a charge.

We had some landscaping debris on our street, I called Waste Management to have them pick it up and they came around to get in a timely manner.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Code enforcement would love to know who threw all of the paint buckets (100's), wood, wood with lighting fixtures, rebar and goodness knows what else is under the pile in the backyard of a home no one has lived in for the year and 5 months I have lived her. The house is clearly not lived in, but someone does come cut the grass. Code enforcement said they would have to find out who owns the house, send them a letter to have it removed (since it is a hazzard). If they do not than they will take other measures. It is ashame that the owner (whoever that may be) of the house did not put the trash there and should have to pay to have it rectified. This stuff was dumped there by someone who knew the house was abandoned. What worries me is that it is starting to slowly slide closer to my fence than it already was. It is flamable and a real problem if any of the wash off from the paint gets into my yard since I have a small dog that goes out there.

They are attending to the issue, it just takes so long that it is not safe. If that caught on fire so would my house next door. They said it is tresspassing for anyone to be on that property so they cannot do anything about it. They were hoping I saw who did it so they could do something sooner. It is a very strange pile of stuff, not sure if someone was painting and renovating or an artist since there was also a canvas an artist paints on thrown in there and a piece of wood that looks like someone was painting on it. Even though the house is not lived in and has not been for clearly sometime, does not mean it does not harm others to use it as a dump. My fence is not very sturdy and made out of wire and this stuff is about to come through the bottom of it. When we have a hard rain or wind issue it slides a little more bending the fence in towards me as it does. I suppose someone on here will say something about my cleaning it up. I cannot because I could get in trouble, but I don't think that anyone that lives here year round would approve of anyone dumping garbage in an abandoned house next to them or anywhere. Especially with flamable materials thrown in.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's actually a little harder than you think. Once the deeded owner stops making his payments for about a year or two, the bank, or banks, kinda "own it", and they send "representatives" by, every coupla months, who mostly just make sure the the door is locked and the broken windows haven't collapsed. They are not too concerned about the collapsed porch roof or the pieces of asphalt shingles that blow off into your property in a big storm. The neck high weeds in the yard? gimme a break. No one "owns" these properties for the several years that the banks take to kinda think about foreclosing on. Once they foreclose on it, they have to take the loss on their books, and that makes them closer to insolvent. What a drag.

Last edited:
In some jurisdictions the banks are giving these type of properties to the local government after they demolish the structures. It is cheaper to give them away than to pay taxes and upkeep and they get a tax break for the donation. The local government can then resell them for dvelopment when the market recovers.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
They found the owners and sent themn a letter in which they have 30 days to cleaan it up. Meanwhile that garbage just sits and it is not very healthy. I am not sure what happens after the 30 days is up. I hope it means they will take matters into their own hands, get it done and send them a bill????