• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
We like the Volvo XC60. But we are concerned about the future of Volvo. Ford bought Volvo for, I think, $6 billion and then in 2009 sold Volvo to a Chinese company for $1 billion. Volvo dealerships are dropping like flies. There are now only two Volvo dealers in Atlanta; two on the south side have closed. The Volvo dealer in Columbus, GA that was in a combined dealership with Mercedes was "divorced" by the Mercedes dealer. The Columbus Volvo dealer now has no showroom and sharing office space with a Subaru dealer whose building is under construction.

Of course, we get no info from the Volvo dealer about the future of Volvo. Our salesman was brand-new and knew nothing about the product. His previous job was taking orders at Starbucks. :roll:

We just wonder what happens to the warranty if Volvo goes under? I've done a lot of Googling and haven't found any definitive info. I've seen articles like this http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2011/08/30/Brands-to-Watch-Apple-Exxon-Volvo.aspx , but that's all. Do any of you know about Volvo or where we could get info about the future of the company? Do any of you know what would happen to a Volvo warranty if Volvo went under?

(The link reminds me -- are there any Exxon stations left? None around here or on the way to the beach. At least I have a zero balance now. LOL.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Don't know much about Volvo, but we are getting ready to ship a 2004 Saab up to Steven in DC. Guess it will be his problem, huh? :D

Let me ask this in a different manner. Do any of you live in an area where once there were multiple Volvo dealers and now the number of dealers has decreased?

We've owned several Volvos in the past. Our third one in the 80s had a reported big technical problem (hubby would remember what it was.) We bought it new and got rid of it within six months before that happened to us. We heard that the problem wasn't totally covered under the warranty.

It played out like this. One Saturday when I was walking out of Lenox Square with a bunch of shopping bags, hubby said, "Try this key." We were standing by a new BMW. I flipped out. He had arranged for the dealer to deliver it to the parking lot at Lenox, and he got the key while I was shopping. :love:

Off thread. I really want to know if buying a new Volvo is a wise decision.

:roll:...beats walking.
Oh, I know.The kidlets took my BMW to the beach, so I got their car serviced and detailed because it really needed it. Hubby was out of town on business. So I had to walk to/from work with my heavy briefcase, 1.3 miles. Then the kidlets called from Tom Thumb in Seagrove and said my car wouldn't start. Wha-wha-what? Turned out that the battery died because 99% of the time I drive to/from work (1.3 miles) and to/from Publix (3 miles). Someone jumped them off at Tom Thumb so they could get home and get their car to take to ATL. But my car wouldn't start. I sent out a blanket email at work because I was tired of walking with a heavy brieface full of textbooks and a laptop, and some kind souls offered to pick me up from home, take me home after class, and jump start the battery so I could get to ATL to have it serviced.

Surfrider28

Beach Comber
Sep 1, 2008
Volvo has a 5 year parts agreement with Ford, so after 5 years Cherry(which owns Volvo) will be putting their own spin on Volvo. That's why some dealers are pulling out now.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Still looking to buy a Volvo? My daughter's friend participated in the Overseas Delivery program. He got a good deal and free trip to Sweden.