• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Before I declare chemical warfare I want to make sure I'm not wiping out honey bees.

They built a nest in the ground.

While they look like honeybees, one of the little SOBs nailed me this morning.

It's going to be cold in a couple of days and that will be a good time to nail the jokers.

Do honey bees nest in the ground?

Should I just go ahead and kill em?

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
They sound like yellow jackets. I ran into them quite a bit in North Georgia, but never down here. You don't need to wait for it to get cold, just get them at night when it's dark. Get a can of Raid or Black Flag that is specifically designed for wasps/hornets. It will shoot out in a stream instead of a spray. At night, after dark, empty the can into the hole. You should be fine after that, although I have known of other colonies to move into the same hole a year or two later.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Bees take over my yard once a year - swarms all over a couple inches above the ground, but they have never (knock on wood) stung me. They are the bigger fuzzy ones.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Those sound like yellow jackets and not bees. Did they look like this?

killer_bees5.jpg

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
A true story. Three years ago a couple from out of town came to SOWAL to exchange wedding vows. One of the 'greens' overlooking the beach was selected as the ceremony site. Bride opted for a fairly traditional gown. She walked onto the green and assumed her spot next to grooom and officiant. Tragically, her spot also happened to be the nesting area for some ground hornets/yellow jackets. She did not move a muscle as she was repeatedly stung by the insects, citing a fear that she would win a prize on America's Funniest Home Videos. Her dress formed a dome over the nest, so nobody knew any better...until the following day at which point she sought medical care for dozens of hornet stings. :shock:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Oh skunky that's horrible, poor bride. I had this problem years ago in BMB. Called pest control and he sprayed some type of chemical in the hole. The bees shot out like a tornado chasing him through the yard. This was during the day so I don't know if this could happen differently at night. Be careful Buz and good luck!

Hubby was mowing one day and ran over a yellow jacket nest. They swarmed him. He got bitten several times, but thankfully didn't have a bad reaction.

Another time there was a nest on the patio. We couldn't go outside without being attacked. Orkin came out and had a hard time treating the nest. They don't work at night. But finally they killed the yellow jackets.

Tailgating at GT football games gets annoying because you constantly have to fight off the real yellow jackets attacking your food.