• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Is there any recourse for this behavior?? If so, who do I go to about it??

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 722

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The last one is the standard "pick up your damn crap already" sign that is posted on all the Sowal beaches - that isn't an Andante one.

I think the first sign needs some decorations - maybe a tacky thong or some additions so it reads "Andante thinks this is their private beach, owners only inviting lawsuits."

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Yep, the last picture is the sign that I read as.... the Andante signs, beach chairs, and umbrellas all need to be removed at night. Its maybe 50 yards from their stuff.... ironic I thought. It's kinda hard to tell (pics taken with my phone), but that is water creeping up to the chairs and umbrellas.

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
From what I understand there has been a formal complaint filed against the chair company at Andante for not removing those chairs at the end of the business day. Documentation and photo's were sent to our county. That is the way our Beach Ordinance reads. At least it did but it has been modified over the years but rarely enforced. However, this year they made a good effort to enforce it but they had only one person covering our entire beach! The "chair guy" at Andante enforces those private property issues and he says that there is no such rule about leaving chairs out after dark. He knows better but thinks he is above the law and the beach ordinance. Just remember, that the recent ruling was for Okaloosa county and not Walton county. I walk by Andante several times a week all year round and I doubt very much that things will change there. This will certainly open up Pandora's Box with the trash, debris, beach toys, tents, chairs and set ups the public leaves behind on the beach that does have a negative impact on turtle nesting and hatching. I do agree with the ruling but it also has a flip side. We used to live on the beach and left because we had absolutely no privacy but kept a turtle friendly beach which was our priority. And yes, we did throw away stuff left behind and our sign at our boardwalk stated that. I even talked to one guy who ate his lunch on our beach daily (our deed read that we owned the beach down to the Gulf) and we had no problem with others enjoying the beach or even eating there but we did have a problem with the bags, foil and half finished food this guy left behind every day. Know what he said when I approached him nicely? "I don't give a f___, I'm on vacation." I told him I didn't give a f___ either and would call the sheriff because he was littering the beach and that was against the law. He just moved over to the next condo. and littered there daily!!! That is why people who live on the beach want their beach private and I can understand that. We never wanted it that way. We ONLY wanted people to leave it the way they found it but that doesn't happen. If our county would enforce the beach ordinance we wouldn't have these problems. And I mean enforce it every year and year round especially with those loose dogs that run unsupervised every afternoon and many without permits. Their owners don't clean up either. There is always another side to the story.

Last edited:

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Maybe Greg Kisela is who to talk to? I do understand paying for, and wanting to use you own part of the beach. But, this goes beyond that. The message sent is a very strong.... "You are not welcome". And I do believe there must be a right to egress on regress along the beach... a legal right. Meaning, even if it is privately owned... along a designated point, access is granted. I also believe an ordinance applies to all who live a dwell within the county.... including Andante owners. If I am correct about this.... I want this enforced, and I will bug the hell out of everyone until it is. Right now, I need to understand where my rights as a Walton County taxpayer begins and ends with regard to this nuisance. And just the rights of all of us using and enjoying the beach for that matter. If anyone knows to whom I should directly speak on this matter, I'd really appreciate it.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Hummmmmmm, walked by Andante yesterday and chairs and umbrella's were NOT out and private property signs were not in the sand either. Makes me wonder if something is going on or if the chair contract is over with Andante due to the end of tourist season.
To answer the above question there is a boardwalk on both ends of the Andante property so access to that area of the beach is possible. There is a public access at Mistral Condo's. and there is a boardwalk at the other end of the Andante property that services the Cottages of Magnolia which is on the other side of 30-A. Andante has their own boardwalk with no easement rights (no legal right for egress and regress by others).

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Yep, we have access to the beach... its just once we get down there, going West is a challenge because of the signs, beach chairs, etc.. I'll be continuing to monitor Andante and pursue keeping the signs and chairs from erecting next season.... in a manner that becomes a nuisance to others.

Last edited: