• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cassie

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2004
Saint Louie/Grayton
WHOA ... WHAT? There was a bull shark spotted in Western Lake last year? Seriously? We have a place in Grayton Lake Place and kayak all the time in there. I've seen fish and crabs, no sharks though. I've heard a gator was spotted 4 (iah) years ago ...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
cassie said:
WHOA ... WHAT? There was a bull shark spotted in Western Lake last year? Seriously? We have a place in Grayton Lake Place and kayak all the time in there. I've seen fish and crabs, no sharks though. I've heard a gator was spotted 4 (iah) years ago ...
I am pretty sure it was reported last year. It certainly could be possible for a bull shark to live in the Lake. Below is a picture taken the morning of T.S Arlene, and you can see how easy it would be for one to swim into the Lake. Just use a bit of common sense and you should be okay. I would be more concerned about the 6000+ pound SUVs on the road with drivers yapping on the cell phone. They are much more likely to take you out.
Copy2ofP6100003.JPG

Kathryn

Beach Comber
I have heard about a bull shark in Western Lake for about 4 years now. Thought it might have been local legend ... guess not. I have seen water mocassins in there.

I was talking to the rescue workers right after the rip tide incidents 2 years ago. They said there is an 11 foot Hammerhead Shark that hangs out in the gulf at the mouth of Eastern Lake. As the tide flows out, fish get pulled out into the gulf and it's easy feeding for the shark. Ever since then I get so nervous when I see children swimming in that exact spot!

cassie

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2004
Saint Louie/Grayton
Ha! True true. It's the same everywhere I'm afraid. I drive a VW bug convertable and those Hummers make me very nervous ; )

I'm not too worried about the sharks, just good to know! After last years hurricanes when the lake was open for awhile I guess just about anything and everything could've gotten in there.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
kurt said:
I use a Nikon D100 with awesome lenses. It's 6mp. Not to sound glib, but mp is not really the thing with digital - it's everything else added up, including post. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Nikon D2X though. :D $5k for the body. :shock:

Canon and Nikon have some good products under $1k with lens, but once you add lenses, computer, printer, etc. it becomes expensive for the casual user. You can get some great results with point and shoots with a little training though.

I just sold my Nikon 5700. It was a sweet camera and I loved it! But there were so many functions and options that I felt like most of it was wasted. I've downsized to a Sony P150. More mps, less confusion, easier to use, and marine housing is available. The megapixels are kind of overkill though unless you want to print out a poster or something. (In other words, if you are Kurt. LOL) And they really don't make as much difference as everything combined together into a great camera.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Extraordinary pictures Kurt!! The one of the girl building the castle on top of her board... amazing. What a gorgeous little girl!! Do you catalogue or seek permission before shooting? Just wondering how that works. You know you have every beach lover's dream job, right??

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
BeachDreamer said:
Extraordinary pictures Kurt!! The one of the girl building the castle on top of her board... amazing. What a gorgeous little girl!! Do you catalogue or seek permission before shooting? Just wondering how that works. You know you have every beach lover's dream job, right??

:cool:

I have a hidden camera inside a cooler. :rotfl:

There's very little that makes me happier than watching kids play on the beach. :love:

Last edited:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
kurt said:
:cool:

I have a hidden camera inside a cooler. :rotfl:

There's very little that makes me happier than watching kids play on the beach. :love:

040509-026.jpg

I guess you used that cooler for this one, too. :lolabove:

Look where her line is going. Looks like one of my casts after a day on the beach.