• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachgirl

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Hi all, I'm seeking advice on what type of hot water heater is best for cost (initial to acquire and ongoing operating expense) and efficiency - Rinnai, gas tank or electric tank. This is for my primary residence, a 1600sf 1-story home with 2 adults. Thank you very much!

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Consider a tankless water heater

I've had a tankless water heater for about 3 years and have been very happy with it.
It's about the size of a big city phonebook. You may need a larger one depending on your needs. If you plan to run a dishwasher and washing machine at the same time you shower, for example. The temperature of the water going in is also a factor. The water doesn't get that cold in Florida.

You never run out of hot water (good if you have several guests) and you don't waste energy heating the water 24 hours a day.

I can't remember how much the plumber charged to install it but I don't think it was too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
I'll second the tankless recommendation. This is my second home with a tankless and I have been very happy with both, endless hot water. I have a gas tankless, there is an electric version but my research convinced me that gas was much better.

quality hammer

Beach Lover
Dec 15, 2008
The tankless is cheaper to operate than a tank because you are not wasting money keeping water hot you are not using. A gas unit will heat more water faster than an electric but the electric can be less expensive to install. You need to consider how you intend to use the heater, including maximum flow requirements and whether your house has the electrical capacity without a major upgrade and if gas is available. Location of unit will also determine the cost of installation. It is not a simple question that can be answered without an evaluation by someone who is knowledgeable.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Get an inexpensive electric water heater and use an Intermatic brand "Little Gray Box" water heater timer. Set it for a couple hours in the morning, and a a few hours in the afternoon. 40 dollar investment and the time can be overridden for peak use by flipping a switch. Home Depot, low tech solution.

kdp4th

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2006
Duluth
We have an eletric tankless at our second home and have no issues with the endless hot water. However, in the winter time the water does not heat up as much as in the summer time, so consider the size carefully.

Hi all, I'm seeking advice on what type of hot water heater is best for cost (initial to acquire and ongoing operating expense) and efficiency - Rinnai, gas tank or electric tank. This is for my primary residence, a 1600sf 1-story home with 2 adults. Thank you very much!