• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The TDC used $75,000 in BP restoration funds to pay Hoffs for the song.

“Sand and turquoise water forever” is how visitors to South Walton most often describe the destination’s 26 miles of pristine beach nestled along Northwest Florida’s Gulf Coast. And now that sentiment has been put to music, courtesy of internationally renowned singer/songwriter Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. Titled “This is the Place” the upbeat song will be officially unveiled during the Bangles’ live performance as part of the 30A Songwriters Festival, to be held Jan. 13-15, 2012 at multiple venues throughout South Walton....

[video=youtube_share;UFI9QFF0cRw]http://youtu.be/UFI9QFF0cRw[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Is this where the song came from? If so how did $500 become $75,000? Sounds like someone has crossed wires.

http://www.30asongwritersfestival.com/visitsouthwaltonsongcontest

[h=2]Visit South Walton Song Contest[/h]This is the 30A Songwriters Festival first-ever Visit South Walton Song Contest.
Submissions will be accepted through Sonic Bids in the categories of Americana, Folk, Singer/Songwriter, Adult Contemporary and Country. The review panel is made up of 30 A Songwriters Festival staff and Visit South Walton staff. A critique will not be provided. Songs MUST be representative of the South Walton brand. Read below for some South Walton inspiration. For terms and conditions and to submit a song, go to www.sonicbids.com/30asongwritersfestivalsongcontest.
The winner(s) will receive the following:
  • Headlining performance at the Festival Kick-off party
  • Additional performance opportunities throughout Festival Accommodations in South Walton for up to five nights $500
  • Inclusion in the 2012 30A Songwriters Festival compilation CD
  • $500.00
Here is some great inspiration for your song! Things Visitors to South Walton are saying...
Picture perfect / Your beach / Sugar white sand / Turquoise waters / Quiet / Unique neighborhoods / Family places and family stories / Laughter / Memorable - a place for lasting memories / Strand of beaches / Windswept dunes / You Only Live Once - the home of YOLO boarding / Precious environment - from wooded uplands to coastal dune lakes / Traditions - annual - places you come back to year after year / Generations / Relaxing vacation at any age / A blast every time we're there / Only in South Walton / Never want to leave / If you can't be happy in South Walton, you can't be happy. / Only place where you can totally relax and let the world go / The only place we ever visit / A little slice of heaven / Relaxed look on my husband's face is worth a million words to me / Charming, family-friendly villages / Beauty on the coast - no other beaches compare / Feels like you've stepped back in time / We already found Heaven. / Our favorite home away from home / It's a place where we live, laugh and love

Visit South Walton's Brand Story
Everyone needs to have their own beach. Sounds simple enough.
Start with the purest white quartz sand filtered down from the Appalachians eons ago and washed westward along the blue-green Gulf of Mexico.
Form it into wave-like dunes topped with sea grasses.
Frame the dunes with pines, spreading broad swathes of green against the perfect blue of the sky.
Scoop out freshwater lakes to reflect all that blue. And back it all with huge inland estuary teeming with all forms of life.
People have been drawn to theis restorative beauty ever since they've been drawn to the South. The culture that has grown up here from residents and visitors alike has ever been peaceful, respectful of the natural uniqueness and well spiced with the flavors of Southern and Gulf Coast character. The result is a necklace of individual beach neighborhoods, each with its distinct emothional hue, its own cultural traditions and feel, its own visual style. All linked not only to each other, but also to the bountiful natural gifts they are committed to preserve and perpetuate. This is our promise: somewhere along this strand, you will find your perfect place, your partner's beach ideal, your family's epitome of what the word beach was meant to be. That's South Walton.
Find your perfect beach.

Beach Princess

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Here, There and Everywhere
I owned and operated a talent agency for several years in PCB- booking several thousands of bands up and down the strip and, in my opinion, if these rumors prove to be true- the TDC and Walton County just got ripped off and scammed- BIG TIME, based upon the thread of this post.

First, if the songwriter DID indeed received $75,000 for the song itself (which is quite a record price to recieve for a demo-unless the songwriter is Willie Nelson or someone that has a lifetime of guaranteed hits), it would have been published in the industry papers, as this really is quite an enormous price to risk with JUST a localized song, that barely stands a chance of going national in and of itself.

Second, productuction costs brought the entire bill to how much? $200K? That means someone spent nearly $175 in production and post-production costs? Jeez! Who the hell is producing this- Barry Gordy? Who is singing- Bono? The math does not add up.

Third, and lastly... I've heard the basics of this song and it ain't gonna hit in my opinion unless someone greases a lot a palms...

Some one is definitely pulling the wool over someone's eyes...

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Lyrics are not always supposed to make sense. It's art - the feel and the tune are what really counts. Although I think South Walton might should have been mentioned a few more times. I like the tune but when I first heard it.

I can't help but think there are a lot of talented local musicians that could have done a fine job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The expenditure of $75,000 for this is truly amazing by itself but the most amazing part of this is HOW it ever got approved ,who approved it and who had no input into the project.

It appears that neither the TDC advisory board or the BCC approved the project prior to the start but were only "informed" after the fact. If the TDC advisory board was unaware and the BCC was unaware then who's grand idea was it?

The paper trail appears to lead to LKM ( marketing company) as the originator of the concept and the TDC director as the individual that approved the project and approved the song.

Why do we have a TDC advisory board?

Last edited:

Diamond Dave

Banned
Mar 6, 2011
Seagrove
Here is the invoice !
And this is the agreement

View attachment 26167

View attachment 26166

I did not think about this too much until this post exposed the large sum of money spent... This is really sad.

Its like the difference between Justin Beiber showing up at your kids birthday party just because he was driving by and you having to pay him $$$ to create the illusion...

I (and I feel most others) were under the impression the Ms. Hoffs (Bangles) did this because she enjoyed the area and it was like any other song about a place, spontaneous and purposeful.

Unfortunately, now we see the truth that once again the TDC has wasted money, just because they can. Since we are in the market to pay singers to write songs about the area, I have an idea.

Who would be the best artist/musician to pay large gobs of money for writing a song about the "Chat Holley Land Deal".:dunno:

"You call me Chat, but my name's really Chad"

"Follow the money honey"

"See paradise, put up a parking lot"

Anyone have some other ideas? Let's get a good title and lyrics and we'll ask TDC to contact some other musicians, I'm thinking Willie Nelson or Guns & Roses.

Let's get Dawn on board right away.