• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
OK- just saw that you are looking for vacation property- sorry! But I am going to leave up my post because someone might be looking to relocate-

Remember that many of the homes in the vacation areas have very little storage- they are built for vacations/second homes, not to really live in them full-time, with kids, several seasons of clothes, your boxes of Christmas stuff, etc. Many people have to use storage units. Garages and useful storage space is almost a luxury around here.

Also do your homework on the schools. Walton County is more like a rural school district and completely different than Atlanta- there are good and bad things in those differences. I am just being honest here.

Unless you can afford not to rent, I wouldn't buy.

That is, unless you're the type who won't get stressed due to rental damage and missing items.

We built our house as a home, not a rental property, but we had to rent to afford the mortgage. Wish we hadn't done that. Every time we walk into the house, we hold our breaths and hope there isn't too much damage. Granted we've had some very nice rental guests, but some renters can do more damage in one week that we can do in 5 years, not to mention the broken items that they throw away so that housekeeping won't notice the damage.

I'm tired of having to load up the pantry and refrigerator from the owners closet every time we arrive, and then have to return it all to the renters closet when we leave. I'm tired of renters letting their children paint in the house. I'm tired of having to spend hours and sometimes days during our beach trips waiting for repairmen to repair abuse by renters.

We are looking for a smaller place so we don't have to rent, can leave our food and stuff out, and don't have so little time there in the summer just to get rental income.

Again, it depends on your personality, but we just don't like people tearing up our stuff, even if they are paying.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
True that Beachrunner. Most of our renters have been very responsible but once in a while you run across a situation that leaves you scratching your head. If you want to rent out your house, I guess you can't sweat the small stuff.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
This type of information is something a good Realtor will help you with understanding. If you haven't chosen a Realtor yet, I'll be glad to assist you.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Murray is right! First shop for a realtor that is the right fit for you. They'll be able to guide you to the best areas for your family!

Thanks for all the advice. We have stayed in Sandestin for years and while we love it there, we kinda have our hearts set on 30A. I will definitely rule out Cypress Dunes for it's lack of beach access. I have stayed at High Pointe in the past..it's nice but a little too big..like Silver Shells in Destin. We don't really have a preference I guess..I like the idea of a condo, but don't want huge HOA fees. I have noticed alot of the houses are sold "furnished"..which would be a huge plus(if I liked their taste). When they say "Old Seagrove" and no fees..what does that just mean? Where does Old Seagrove start and end? And what are your thoughts on Carillion Beach?? I don't want to get into Panama City.
According to my textbook buyer from Louisville, KY, whose territory runs from KY to the FL Panhandle, Carillon property owners are in such trouble that he rents there for a month for less than 30A charges for a week for a similar rental.

Furnished home sales are negotiable from my experience. And there are places that have never been lived in, so furnished is not an option.

I'm not a local, but I think that Old Seagrove starts just to the east of Seaside and ends where the one-story brick houses end on at Dothan Avenue (although One Seagrove Place was there in the 60's). To get a definitive answer, you'd need to ask a local. Old Seagrove is actually pretty pricey because of the tear downs and funky re-dos of gramps' and grammy's old beachfront places. Maybe you should try east of there.

Grayton is awesome, but you have to keep on top of the market there. The affordable places sell fast there.

Just my unprofessional yet biased opinions. :lol: So I defer to professional realtors and locals for their opinions.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
True that Beachrunner. Most of our renters have been very responsible but once in a while you run across a situation that leaves you scratching your head. If you want to rent out your house, I guess you can't sweat the small stuff.

The problem is that the small stuff becomes big stuff. I won't forget the first time we found our beach house trashed by renters. I have never felt quite the same about it since.

beasmiester

Beach Lover
Sep 1, 2009
Having relocated to 30A almost 3-years ago, I have to speak up for the east end of 30A. We fell in love with the slower pace of life and less congestion in the east. The crowds in spring and summer can be daunting compared to the fall and winter but they're mostly walkers, runners and bikers, nothing like the traffic congestion in Seaside and Seagrove. In regards to the prices, as has been said before, it's not cheap but there are some deals available if you look. 30A is a beautiful place to live, just give yourself time to find the area that draws you back.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
We are looking for a smaller place so we don't have to rent, can leave our food and stuff out, and don't have so little time there in the summer just to get rental income.

I'm sure you've considered this, but often the writeoff is better than the rental income.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Hi..I live in Atlanta, and for years we have "toyed" with the idea of buying a vacation property. NOW is the time I say..if only we knew where we wanted to be. So..my question to you locals is "where would you recommend a family of 5 look?" We have a freshman in college, a freshman in high school and an 8th grader. My husband is a huge golfer and we love good restaurants and lively nightlife. Just from browsing listings..I like the looks of the Villas at Sunset Beach, Summers Edge, Grove by The Sea, Magnolia Cottages by the Sea, Cypress Dunes and the Dunes of Seagrove. We really want a community pool..and would LOVE if that pool had a beachbar..but I know most don't:sosad: Any advice would be appreciated!!

Do you have a price point? That might really help.