• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Land Clearing on Bay Rd at Hwy 98

I saw all the activity and just wondered what's happening there. It's government land....might be timber thinning? Anybody know?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
It's been a bit since I was up that way. The big trees are all that's left, all the smaller stuff and undergrowth has been bush hogged out. Anybody know what's going on?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I believe so. I believe the Forest Service has some kind of logging deal with private companies, or it may be part of their own management plant, part of which is to re-introduce Longleaf Pine in the area that was logged many years ago. I'll see if I can get more info..

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
The Forest Service did the same thing last year on the South Side of 98 near the Christian International Church. They also did the same thing 2 or 3 years ago on 395 S. north of Watercolor. They cleared the small trees and undergrowth and then set a controlled burn. I believe this is an attempt to reintroduce the longleaf pine which needs fire to open the pine cones as well as a thinner canopy to let in sunlight and reduced litter on the forest floor so the seeds can reach the soil.

We have to remember that Point Washington State Forest has only been a state forest since 1992. Before that all of the property was privately owned and was used for logging. The native longleaf pines have long since been logged and the forest replanted with slash pines. The vast majority of what is now Point Washington State Forest is not native untouched forest.

Strangern

Beach Comber
Oct 11, 2006
Um..You are probably recalling the Lodgepole Pine or some of the Larches that need-need-gotta-have fire to open the cones...Longleaf just kind of drifts down and grows where it touches dirt...or soil...or loamy sand..or sandy loam..or...Yeah..it wont grow on top of pine straw or green stuff...gotta have dirt...or soil...or loamy sand...or..

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Longleaf pines, though, not only became resistant to these fires but became dependent upon them. Longleaf pine seeds germinate and put down roots quickly in the bare mineral-rich soil left behind by fires. Seedlings stayed in a low-growing “grass stage” that survived as fires swept over them, then underwent a growth spurt that put their fire-sensitive needles above the flames. Mature trees developed fire-resistant bark.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/cede_longleaf/489