• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
Pictures taken on Gulf Trace Beach 1/23

Very glad to hear about the stop work order, crossing my fingers that it will last.

I took some pictures of the tire tracks today to show how close to the houses the trucks have been going. I did notice that one truck today was going much slower than they have been in the past, but too little too late.

You can see my pictures at the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnealy/sets/72157629005986727/

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
When Watercolor did a beach renourishment project some years back they set up a conveyor system that took the sand over the dune. Any reason, other than trucks disturbing the neighborhood, that Retreat couldn't have handled it this way?

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
i emailed cecelia jones a few weeks back when i first saw a large dump truck hauling what appeared to be dark sand past the blue mountain beach access. i finally heard from her, and she stated it was the Retreat project and indicated the dark sand was being removed.

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
Trucks are rolling again today. I'm not sure what the stop work order was about, but it apparently had no effect.

NipTuck

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2005
Athens,Ga
Yep, trucks are rolling again today. Code enforcement says the stop work order is to prevent the stockpiling of any more sand at Grayton Beach " until we have a chance to talk about it some more". He said the state would have to stop them running up and down the beach, not the counties authority.

Oh well, seemed promising.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Yep, trucks are rolling again today. Code enforcement says the stop work order is to prevent the stockpiling of any more sand at Grayton Beach " until we have a chance to talk about it some more". He said the state would have to stop them running up and down the beach, not the counties authority.

Oh well, seemed promising.

But yet the county believes they have the authority to prevent people from "camping out" on private beach property?

I guess it's ok to turn their eyes away from the big heavies tearing through the same private beach property because this is a state issue.... :roll:

Since this isn't a county issue, then I guess they wouldn't act if the sand was blocked by a bunch of tents in the path of the big heavies.....hmmm:cool:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
So isn't the county government there to protect us.The powers have already decided that this is critically eroded beach. It does not take a scientist to see the damage that is being done. Many have called the county, but they do nothing and watch our beach being washed away! Shouldn't THEY contact the proper state agency to get this stopped? Isn't that the way the government is supposed to work?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
As I have previously stated, FDEP, who issued the permit to the Retreat, states they DO NOT CONTROL THE TRANSPORTATION OF MATERIALS, ONLY THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE PROJECT. Somebudy at the County level knows what is going on and evidently will not do anything about it. I am not in a position to call anyone at this time. Tents anyone? I have the permission of member of our Association board. We will be back to SoWal shortly, hopefully.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Per county code enforcement: The contractor was stopped from stockpiling any more sand at the Grayton access point at the time of the county stop work order, and that ban has remained in effect. The contractor is trucking out the remaining sand from Grayton to the project site. An agreement was worked out with DEP yesterday for the other sand for the project to be brought in through the Retreat property.

Last edited: