• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bchbabe

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2007
Parents, are you aware that taking away recess from an entire class has become the preferred method of discipline at Bay Elementary? I have experienced this all year with my 2nd grader, but now have heard that is is actually acknowledged by the administration as a primary method of discipline. I am very unhappy with this and am in the process of making my voice heard. Boys cannot sit in desks all day long and then miss recess! This is so counter-intuitive and makes no sense! Acting up in class and fidgeting? No recess for you! I'm begging you other parents out there to make you voices heard....Call the school, call the superintendent. This has to stop.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I am all for creative punishments, but recess is good for both behavior and health.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
If the logic is that running around helps hem behave, I propose that when they fidget they go for a set of wind sprints. That'll teach the little buggers to writhe.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

bchbabe

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2007
No, and for the record, I'm not attacking teachers either, I just think this is a misguided effort with good intention behind it. Positive reinforcement always works better with young children. Anyone who has kids under 15 will tell you that it is so ridiculous to expect them to sit in desks all day with no outlet for their energy or creativity. And the thing that bothers me most is that the entire class loses recess, not individual offenders. If you ask me, it would have a stronger effect if you made the misbehavors sit and watch the others at play. I myself went to Catholic elementary school and our classrooms were very disciplined, but I don't recall the entire class EVER missing recess as punishment. I'm just looking out for my kids....

bchbabe

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2007
I suppose any issue is a chance for quippey cute comments, obviously you are not the parent of an elementary school student.