• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
We've been to Sanibel and I looooooved the shelling, I took an empty suitcase and brought it home full of shells!! I'll look into Barbados, I still need to look at San Diego-it's gotten lots of good press from friends of all ages and I'm also considering Anna Maria Island as we have friends that adore it.

Again, this is a great job trying to plan a beach vacation!!!

On another note, hoping to book our beach house for my girlfriends and kids trip at the end of June in Seagrove and then book a place for me and hubs the following week. I'll drive down with girls and hubs will fly down the Sat that they leave.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
ok so I'm leaning towards Anna Maria Island now. It's a non-stop from Dallas, continental US so I should be able to cash in credit card points or AA points for a flight or maybe both, darling cottages, been interested in the area for a while-it looks lovely. Anyone been?

Vitamin D

Beach Comber
Jan 28, 2011
Since we have stayed at several locations thru-out Bermuda, it depends on the style. However, the colony of 9 Beaches is absolutely the most unique; not stuffy and VERY romantic. It has individual cabins, some ON the water with see-thru floors, beautiful calm water and beaches, world class food and lots of activities.

Be sure to rent a motor scooter to get around as it is the best way to discover the islands.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Bermuda looks fabulous but from what I'm finding to get a decent flight time it would be about $5500 from Dallas with airfare and hotel so that's more than I want to spend. I'm hoping to spend no more than $4000 for the entire trip since we have the 2 weeks in SoWal only 5 weeks later. I'm liking the way Anna Maria looks but am about to start looking at San Diego weather in mid-May as everyone who's been loves it!

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
You have a lot of choices on this thread. I would check out Defuski Island near Hilton Head, SC, Outter Banks NC, Amelia Island and Sea Island, GA. Anna Maria Island...is that in Florida, down near St Pete? I have been there...very beautiful and fun place, and very near Sarasota, which I love. My sister-in-law loves Fernandina Beach in the upper part of the Florida east coast.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Thanks Allifunn, Anna Maria is on the short list. I spent yesterday looking at Savannah, Charleston and if we do that, we'd hit an island along the ways! A friend adores Amelia Island so I'm going to read up on it later. I've read that May isn't a good weather month in San Diego. Friends leave for their 3rd trip in a row to Tulum and I'm fearful of Mexico at this time but they simply adore Tulum!

Sea Island has a horrible beach. It eroded, so they brought in concrete and put sand on top of it. The sand is so hot that they have to use soaker hoses so that the guests' feet don't get burned. Don't get me wrong. We love The Cloister, the food, the whole all-inclusive package, the Bingo, the bands and dancing, the Nutty-Buddy man, getting dressed up in formal attire for the General Manager's party, and the luxury of it all. But the beach itself is not an asset.

We used to go there twice a year. But since our daughter got too old for the kid's camp and we discovered South Walton, we haven't been back. I'd still like to go back sometime for old time's sake and to see the renovations. But we much prefer South Walton -- better beach, beautiful water, lots of restaurant choices, and a shorter drive. We used to want to invest in property at Sea Island, but no more. We're invested financially and emotionally in South Walton now.

We also used to go to Amelia Island Plantation and/or the Ritz there twice a year. Once for the Florida/Georgia game and again for some random vacation. I like it there, but the Atlantic beaches don't compare to South Walton beaches. So we only go there when hubby has a meeting there with all expenses paid and a private jet to get us there and back.

Last edited:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
yeah, I've been to Hilton Head Island and Daytona beaches and Atlantic beaches aren't as pretty to me but I've not been to Savannah as an adult and I don't think I've ever been to Charleston or if I did I was too young to remember-hubs had never been to the SE.

We started going to the Florida panhandle 27 years ago and we love it but I keep thinking that we need to try new places! We were on a Key West kick for a few years and loved it but we want to try something different for our anniversary trip.