• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
It is clear that the need for four-laning 331 is waaaaaaaaaaay overdue. And the bridge is the most expensive piece to that project. It is also clear that the state and federal governments are not going to do much. One reason for this may be the mixed messages they recieve from local governments concerning toll/no toll and such.
I share Bob's disgust with Bay County having 4 north/south corridors four-laned and Walton having zero. Looks like the state could have carved us out some of that funding. But the time is past due to move forward any way possible short of a toll road, so the sales tax idea is probably our best option at this time. I hate taxes, but I would give this option alot of consideration if a four-laned evacuation route all the way to Alabama is the end result.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
IMO we would be a lot closer to a 4 lane 331 if there wasn't a group (of the same old players) trying to make it a private bridge and lobbying for it as such.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The info I posted is what the WCTA was told when they were asked whether they would oppose the 1% sales tax issue.

They were also told about the survey being conducted currently.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I find it incredible that we have lived here for 5 years- and don't seem to be any closer to 4 laning 331 and getting a new bridge than we were in 2006!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
People who make lots of donations and have lots of influence actively working against a project do tend to slow it down.

Especially when their group includes the same elected officials who are supposed to be promoting the damn bridge!

People who make lots of donations and have lots of influence actively working against a project do tend to slow it down.

Especially when their group includes the same elected officials who are supposed to be promoting the damn bridge!

And we continue to re-elect them. So who is at fault? New blood could not do any worse than what we have in office right now.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I find it incredible that we have lived here for 5 years- and don't seem to be any closer to 4 laning 331 and getting a new bridge than we were in 2006!

Actually I think we are. It's just slow. Segments are being 4-laned and lobbying is being done behind the scenes. It could be that the deflation of tax dollars and Joe's clout might have slowed things a bit.