• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We've stayed in the same house, 5 times in the past 2 years. We have two reservations for the upcoming year, starting in June. We received a notice that we have to pay 60 days in advance. I saw the email last night. Emailed the agency this morning; haven't heard their explanation yet - could be a automatically generated email - but if it isn't - might not stay there again.

Ellen

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Is this unreasonable? What was the procedure before?

Not sure this has anything to do with it but I have heard that bookings are way up everywhere - far ahead of last year at the same time. It seems last year some renters waited too late and couldn't get the rental they wanted.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We make a deposit within 24 hours of making the reservation (about 1/3 the cost), then when we checkin we pay the remainder of the balance - never two months before we check in.
This is similar to when we have done group trips, having to pay in full before the trip.
We have to pay in April for June and now May for July. We hadn't budgeted for that before. I can see changing it the next time we make a reservation. It only states that some owners require payment 60 days before.
That's quite a surprise. We made our reservations/down payments last summer.
Ellen

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
They responded this morning. They want to speed up check-in.
I understand.
But the terms changed from when we first put down our reservation.
I think it should be from this point on. Of course, it doesn't speed up check-ins if we all made reservations before now.
We were thinking of cutting back our visits, so now we may have to or stay somewhere else. It's been a good run. There are lots of places to stay on 30A.
(We have some athletic donations due at the same time as our vacations now.)
They've offered to let us call one month ahead for a e-check.
Ellen

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
60 days out is probably the norm. If you have a signed contract with your rental company for your next rental and it does not say you have to pay out 60 days before your arrival, then you go by the terms in that agreement. It sounds like the rental company has changed their policies. I would not take it out on the owner of the property you like so much. Most rentals have some cancellation policy with your money refunded in full or part depending on what they allow.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Usually I've had to pay 1/2 down and sometimes the deposit at booking but usually remaining payment isn't due until 14-30 days or or even upon check in. I've never had to pay full price 60 days out.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
I rent my home on vrbo and require the first 1/2 of payment with the contract withine 10 days. thats very important as i see people dragging lately as its still 3 months out till june so not as much urgency. i require the second and final payment 30 days out. if the client cancels 60 days in he doesn't get his initial payment back. if he cancels 30 days in an has pai in full he gets nothing back. to rent a house takes weeks many times. and many times its left vacant. i am flexible if i do rerent it.i've had zero trouble over the years and have never had to hold a penny of anyones deposit. yes bookings have been good so far but i'm getting a ton of inquiries were people are shopping around as they have there choice this early. but i feel i can be picky this year as demand will be strong

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
What happens if you pay 60 days in advance and the house goes into foreclosure?

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I can understand that they want to speed up check ins. But that can easily be accomplished by requiring payment 7-10 days out. Hopefully they will work with you! Especially given that you ate a repeat renter!

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
they can buy insurance threw vrbo for if i go bankrupt. forget about he 2nd payment 30 or 60 days ahead.. if i required the 2nd payment with only 14 days left they could pullout and i can't re rent it for theres only 14 days left. thats eactly why the initial 1st payment i keep . i have risk of having a vacant home.my first year renting a renter cancelled with 3 days left. he wanted all his money back and i said go read your contract. i felt sorry for him but i couldn't rerent in 3 days.