• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Bentley’s and Maddog’s 30A, Lunch and Dinner
10343 E. County Hwy. 30A (old Seagrill / Chops 30A location)
850-231-1007

Chef / Owner John Malocsay

Malocsay: I’m a third generation restaurateur so it’s in my crazy Hungarian blood. My grandfather had the Saddle River Inn in New Jersey; my father had the Crows Nest in Stuart, Florida. Since the age of 8, I have worked in the kitchen, including four of my own restaurants, the most recent being Bentley’s in Islamorada in the Florida Keys. Sun: Where does your inspiration come from when creating dishes?Malocsay: My first reaction is that it comes from my taste buds. Flavors excite me and make me want to explore the possibilities. On further thought I have to add that places and their special flavors spark my creativity as well — the Bahamas, Florence, San Francisco and New Orleans. I’m a seafood guy, but then, a thick juicy steak is also a must on my plate.Sun: What is your signature dish and why?Malocsay: I have several, but will talk about my seven seafood salsa. I had a place in the Bahamas and fell in love with the fresh conch salad from Billy’s Conch Shack. I’d bring him gator tail every trip and he’d fix the conch for me. My salsa is a derivative made with fresh lobster, crab, conch, tuna… seven seafoods with a definite kick. I serve that as an appetizer, but also use it as a base for my Bahamian stuffing for lobster, fish and U4 shrimp. Hat’s off to Billy.Sun: What is your favorite ingredient and why?Malocsay: That’s like asking my favorite place. Each has its merits. I love playing with the different spices and watching how the sauce turns a corner when you add cilantro or basil, for example. But I guess I have to say my favorite is fresh fish right off the boat. In Islamorada, people brought in their catch and we’d filet and prepare it several different ways and serve it family style.Sun: What makes your restaurant like no other?Malocsay: It would have to be the enormous menu and special board. We have ten different ways to prepare lobster, shrimp, oysters, crab, mussels, clams and many unique toppings to choose from, depending on what is fresh at the time. You can create your own surf and turf at Bentley’s. We’ll put five different types of crab on your platter or four U4 (quarter-pound) shrimp done four different ways. We’re as eclectic as 30A’s architecture and style, so I think Bentley’s and Maddog’s belongs here. We’ll find out.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Are they open today?

beasmiester

Beach Lover
Sep 1, 2009
Bentleys

Bentleys is to be open tonight. Last night they had their soft opening and had issues with service, which is what happens when twice as many customers show up as expected. Those that gave the service a chance, experienced some exceptionally prepared food. We were lucky enough to sample several different menu items all of which were delicious. Bentleys is a great addition to 30A, give them a try, you will not be disapointed!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I went to an open house last night and the staff and food were top notch. I particularly liked the beef selections with Chasseur and Au Poivre sauces. Lots of inventive seafood dishes as well. The place was comfortably full with lots of folks hanging at the bar, named after the family canine, Maddog, who is on their logo. Not sure if he actually smokes though.

Call for reservations at 850-231-1007

comingsoon.jpg

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I was there also and liked it so much we are going back tonight and bringing friends. The shrimp was special. If you come down and catch some fish they will cook it up for you if you bring it in.

kyleresq

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2012
i have yet to try the food but the bar is great and the drinks are tasty! Can't wait to go back for dinner!

beasmiester

Beach Lover
Sep 1, 2009
We've been in a couple of times and the comments above are "right on". The food preparation is excellent, the portions are huge and the staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. We can't say enough about how happy we are to have John and Kandi as neighbors.