• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I requested a meeting with MS Moliterno and the TDC attorney on December 28th, 2010 to try to get answers to questions. I have not received any response to my request.

Date: Dec 28, 2011 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: FW: [1/2]Attached Image
To: "Clay Adkinson" <Clay@adkinsonlaw.com>

Yes thank you Clay.

Sometime after the New Year I would appreciate a time to sit down with Dawn and you to discuss this issue and the process being followed.

From The NWF Daily News Article

"Because it simply was a shift of funds, the TDC did not have to seek approval from county commissioners, executive director Dawn Moliterno said.

In April, commissioners approved the TDC’s initial plan for spending the grant funds, along with a provision stating that any changes to the plan would be submitted only to BP for approval and would not have to go back before the board, she said."

FACT CHECK

April 12,2011- BCC Minutes

Section of Minutes by Ms. Moliterno

Ms.Moliterno presented the Arts Complex Feasibility Study and stated that the TDC Advisory Council does not recommend pursuing an Arts Complex at this time.

Ms. Moliterno requested approval of the Brand Evolution – Brand Story, Naming, Tagline and Creative Assets. This is a critical time to address the existing brand.

Ms.Jennifer Jenkins briefly discussed the Brand Evolution for WaltonCounty: South Walton, To Each, YourBeach.

Motion by Commissioner C. Jones, second by Commissioner Pridgen, to allow TDC to proceedwith the Brand Evolution process as requested. Ayes 4, Nays 0. L. Jones Aye,Comander Aye, Pridgen Aye, C. Jones Aye.

Ms.Moliterno requested approval of the TDC Advisory Council Code of Conduct amendment which prohibits any TDC Advisory Council member from being active of delinquent in bed tax collections.

Motion by Commissioner Brannon, second by Commissioner Comander, to approve the TDCAdvisory Council Code of Conduct amendment as presented. Ayes 5, Nays 0. L.Jones Aye, Brannon Aye, Comander Aye, Pridgen Aye, C. Jones Aye.

Ms. Moliterno requested to accept the BP Grant and adopt a Resolution (2011-29) amending the budget for fiscal year 2010-11 to account for unanticipated revenue in the TDC Fund from the Florida Coastal Northwest Communications Council for the Deepwater Horizon in the amount of$8,010,479.

Motion by Commissioner Pridgen, second by Commissioner Comander, to accept the BP Grant and adopt Resolution (2011-29) as presented. Ayes 5, Nays 0. L. Jones Aye, Brannon Aye, Comander Aye, PridgenAye, C. Jones Aye.

Ms. Moliterno stated that they continue to work on the facility analysis as part of the strategic plan, as well as the health and safety issues.

Ms. Moliterno stated that the TDC Council did meet, review, and approved their financials. The council expressed concerns with the cost of the financial review.

Mr. Demers stated that he met with those involved in the financial review and briefly discussed the documents presented.After reviewing the materials, Carr, Riggs & Ingram decided to forgo thefinal invoice in the amount of $23,238.75 as well as issue a credit for$50,000.

2011-29.gif
Copy of Resolution 2011-29
NOTE:

I find no action by the BCC altering the BCC internal policies that govern expenditures in this resolution or in the minutes. One would expect to see a vote by the BCC to override its policy concerning expenditure approvals.

April 26, 2011- BCC Minutes

Section of Minutes by Ms. Moliterno

Ms. DawnMoliterno, Tourist Development Council Executive Director, presented an update of TDC activities.

NOTE:

I find no action by the BCC altering the BCC internal policies that govern expenditures in this resolution or in the minutes. One would expect to see a vote by the BCC to override its policy concerning expenditure approvals.

The online minutes are not verbatim minutes. I will request a verbatim copy on Monday to see if some discussion and action was taken as MS. Moliterno states in her statements to the NWFD News. If such a discussion or vote took place I will update this post.

I would also respectfully ask Kurt why this thread was locked yesterday.

Last edited:

Diamond Dave

Banned
Mar 6, 2011
Seagrove
More Media (Op Ed) Attention to the cost and where funds were spent...

Again this brings up the question of why locals were not used to write / compose the "song"?

BUZ LIVINGSTON: 30A Songwriters Festival: National acts on a local stage

January 08, 2012 2:19 PM

Buz Livingston

I share at least two things with Merle Haggard. Our mothers tried to raise us better and we denied their pleading. Until she died, mama tried to bring some culture to the barrens of rural Georgia. She started with her three sons specifically steering us to music.

At first, I found it a blessing. In elementary school I could dodge class by going to band practice. In junior high things changed. Hanging out in the gym with my homeboys on the football team seemed more interesting than band practice. I foolishly gave up my alto sax to play football for a lousy team.

January in South Walton means The 30A Songwriters Festival.

Nothing showcases 30A and the music scene better than our Songwriters Festival. I’m claiming it as ours. During Spring Break, we get yahoos whose idea of fine dining means suitcases of Natty Light and hot wings at Publix. The Songwriters Festival attracts a different demographic. The TDC should promote art and music more often.

Some locals are complaining about the TDC’s new song.

Some don’t like the tune, but there’s no denying, even after all these years, The Bangles look good on stage. The TDC simply dropped the ball by not using local talent. Consider Duke Bardwell “Potter’s Moon” or Forest Williams’ “Funky Blues Shack” as prime exhibits.

If the TDC scanned Tim Jackson’s song encyclopedia I bet more than one beach song pops up. Bryan Kennedy’s “Life Shines: The 30A Song” even has a video and Bryan has more No. 1 hits than The Bangles.

Nothing against Susanna Hoffs. I look forward to the performance. But economically speaking, $75,000 spent on local musicians would filter more effectively through the tills of Walton County businesses. It’s not personal, but it’s Economics 101 or the Google “multiplier effect in local economies.”

The Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County (www.culturalartsalliance.com) knocked one out of the ballpark with The 30A Songwriters Festival. Last year, Kim Collins of The Smoking Flowers told me “you don’t know how big this (Songwriters Festival) is going to be … the artists love it.”

One performer confided he considered firing his booking agent for not getting him a slot last year. Each year our festival grows but some complain the same acts show up from last year. Their complaints are misguided. You have another chance for any you missed last year. Sam Bush can play all he wants, no objections here. To my chagrin, Michelle Malone did not grace our stages in 2011 with a repeat performance.

As a seasoned Songwriters Festival attendee, I don’t get bothered about unfamiliar artists (see above Michele Malone). We generally stake out one geographic location or venue and listen to who shows up. My friend and New York Life agent Robert Demars, unless he has Mardi Gras practice, generally hangs on the east end of 30A while we are west-enders.

Sometimes you get lucky. Last year, Suzi Ragsdale kept playing at La Botana. I promise some unknown artist will blow the doors off as The Shadowboxers did last year.

Bottom line: The 30A Songwriters Festival helps make South Walton a great place to live and to visit.

Buz Livingston is a certified financial planner. He operates Livingston Financial Planning Inc. focusing on hourly financial planning and investment management. Contact him directly at 850-267-1068 or at buz@LivingstonFinancial.net.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
[h=5]Sonic Bid Contest Winner[/h]Congratulations to Jennifer Lynn Simpson & Freddy Miles as winner of the first ever 30A Songwriters Festival’s Visit South Walton Song Contest. The contest was open to everyone submitting a song representative of the South Walton brand and falling within six musical genres. As the winner Jennifer and Freddy will receive a festival kick-off party performance, a $500 prize, up to five nights of South Walton accommodation, additional festival performances and inclusion in the 2012 30A Songwriters Festival compilation CD.
The contest winning song “South Walton Paradise” can be enjoyed and downloaded free below.
[h=5]South Walton Paradise[/h]Download Song here:
http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/admin/contents/download/6509

dadleyblane5

Beach Comber
Dec 30, 2011
I didn't care for the song..some might, but I didn't..I'm not hating on the Tourist Developement Council either. I love Susanna Hoffs. 'Specially since I grew up in the 80's and enjoyed her when she was with the Bangles..I've experience in writing lyrics and music, although not professionally. I just thought the song sounded like it was a "hurry up" job. In other words, lyrics and a tune put together quickly, to me there was no soul to it. I love South Walton and the beach. We need to advertise it as much as possible to bring in tourists any way we can. My significant other's profession depends on tourists. I don't know who approved the song or payment...etc..or whatever...but I do think that the Tourist Developement Council could've gotten better bang for their buck. Just m/o.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Walton denies recommendation that TDC meet more often

January 11, 2012 5:06
LAUREN SAGE REINLIE / Daily News
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS

The Walton County Tourist Development Council’s advisory board will continue to meet every three months. County commissioners decided Tuesday that the board should continue to follow that schedule rather than meet every two months, as the advisory board recommended.The nine-member TDC Advisory Council, which includes Commissioner Scott Brannon as the TDC chairman, voted unanimously Dec. 13 to recommend that it meet every two months.Mary Nielson, who owns vacation rental property in Walton County, said she wanted commissioners to approve the board’s request.“I believe that the TDC Advisory Board meeting quarterly does not provide them with the opportunity to look at expenses prior to them being approved (by the TDC staff),” she said after Tuesday’s meeting. “Quarterly is not often enough.”Jim Bagby, town manager of Rosemary Beach, wrote to the commissioners requesting that they approve the recommendation.“If the members of the council think they need to meet more frequently to perform their tasks, let them,” he said in an email.TDC Executive Director Dawn Moliterno, who presented the advisory council’s recommendation to commissioners, said the council can hold special meetings whenever she or the commissioners request it. She said the board held several special meetings last year to approve BP funding and the launch of the new South Walton brand campaign.The commissioners on Tuesday did approve adding language to TDC guidelines stating that the chairman of the TDC — currently Brannon — also can request special meetings.Brannon said that despite his earlier vote to support the TDC’s recommendation, he did not see a need to change the process.“I don’t think it’s necessary, in my opinion as your representative, to defer from previous guidelines,” he told fellow commissioners at the meeting.According to the TDC’s guidelines, the advisory board is tasked with reviewing expenditures made by the TDC staff.

If any are believed to be unauthorized, the council reports those to commissioners and the Florida Department of Revenue.The Okaloosa County TDC meets monthly.

In Santa Rosa County, the TDC holds a meeting for the north end of the county, one for the south end and a full TDC meeting each month.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I do not hate the song, it's OK, but for the money spent on it I feel it should be a great song. It's not a good representaion of our "place". Except for the one reference to South Walton she could be singing about any "place" that has a beach. This is just my personal opinon. It's like the emperors new clothes, no one wants to admit that it was a mistake. I am sure a lot of time and effort went into this business decision, but right or wrong, its too late.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Agree Alli - I really like the tune! Lyrics could use a little tweaking but hey - that's art. I also know that the money was for alot more than just the song including media appearances and such. Nitpicking is a waste of time.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
There is a screen shot image of an email floating around on the internet which reads:

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:57 PM
To: 'Russel Carter'; Jon Ervin
CC: Kelli Carter; Jami Ray
Subject: Re: Youtube

Russell we are truly amazed that this one community individual has caused all this negative behavior.

I agree and Jon and I would suggest we delete all negative comments and have all future comments come to us and filter the posts.

I hate to have to do it but we have no choice.

Russell, we will continue to do damage control on our end too!

It is signed by
Dawn Moliterno
Executive Director
South walton TDC
(850) 267-1216 dawn@visitsouthwalton.com

It seems that Russell Carter from Artist Management LTD took exception to negative comments from the Citizens of Walton County who are appalled that we paid $200 K for a song that any number of local artists could and probably would have done a better job with at a much better price.

So to silence/censor the people, Dawn Moliterno and Russell Carter took it upon themselves to turn off the comment section of the video on youtube that our tax dollars helped fund!

Indeed censorship is the absolute bane of any democracy! :) Click on the image and it will enlarge for better viewing.

Attachments

• Screen%20shot%202012-02-26%20at%205_25_10%20PM.jpg
    Screen%20shot%202012-02-26%20at%205_25_10%20PM.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Dead horse. If it is a fake email I am not surprised. If it is real then I am not surprised either. Youtube comments are turned off all the time. I remember that person's comments and they were over the top and uncalled for. Just really nasty and he encouraged others to pile on. Was it you? And by the way the $200k figure is not correct but only people who are ignorant and haven't read this thread , or lie and want to stir the post can perpetuate the myth.

"I hate to have to do it but we have no choice." Seems like a reasonable person's response.

The question is could the BP funds have been spent in a more effective manner? Could something else have brought more customers into our area? I for one think the arts/sports complex would have been a better use of the money. Something that would have encouraged a new type of visitor and something that would have been of use to our local community.