• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Does anyone know the cause of some pretty severe beach erosion by One Seagrove? We were here In January and the beach was perfect, but wow what a difference this weekend! it seems to be only in one area. Wondering if perhaps the new storm drain is causing it? it has exposed some rotting cypress and the smell at times is pretty pungent.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I admit I'm not an expert but I look at our beach almost every day. It changes as to width and depth constantly. It might not be erosion at all, only Mother Nature doing her thing.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Could have been a lot of drainage there from the Cassine runoff.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Could have been a lot of drainage there from the Cassine runoff.

It did look like it may have been caused by the water coming from the storm drain. You mention "Cassine runoff". Not sure I understand the Cassine connection?

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
I admit I'm not an expert but I look at our beach almost every day. It changes as to width and depth constantly. It might not be erosion at all, only Mother Nature doing her thing.

That was my first thought as well, except that this appears to be pretty concentrated to the area directly beneath the storm drain.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The beach access next to One Seagrove Place and across the street from Cassine Gardens has historically had erosion issues since One Seagrove Place was built in the 80's. The issue has improved over the years but still no contest to mother nature and her 4 inches of rain on Saturday.

On the way down to South Walton this past weekend, we noticed more flooding than we've ever seen, even after tropical storms. The rain was just massive. From my experience in the past 10 years of owning in Seagrove, the worst erosion nearby after rain occurs from One Seagrove west to the walkover by the Tom Thumb. Mother Nature always fixes it, so no worries.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
It did look like it may have been caused by the water coming from the storm drain. You mention "Cassine runoff". Not sure I understand the Cassine connection?

I believe much of the wetlands overflow in and around Cassine drain to there. There are tons of cypress swamp/lakes in the forest near there.