• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
There are reports of more charges today by several people. Better check your credit card and bank accounts. Since some of the fraudulent charges were made out of state, doesn't this become a matter for the FBI rather than Walton Co?

So is this happening by someone using an RFID reader or someone copying down the card#/expiration date/three-digit code on the back, or both? Or some other technique?

One thing we've done is have our income deposited into an account that has no debit card and no checks. So we never use that account for any transactions. Then we put a small amount into my account and into hubby's account, and those are the accounts from which we write checks or use our debit cards. We never use our debit cards where they would be out of our sight for even a second, so we don't use them at restaurants, for example.

I am definitely going to get a sleeve for my cards to prevent them from being read by a thief with an RFID reader.

I am also going to take your advice and check for fraudulent use of any of our accounts because we were at Seaside for the race too.

Thanks for all of the advice!

AirRocker

Beach Lover
Dec 21, 2011
My card does not have an RFID chip... so that definitely wasn't it in my case. They acquired my numbers somehow and cloned it onto another card (my bank said they were "swipes" and I had my card in my possession).

When I had my AmEx number stolen a few years back, I called one of the places that the card was fraudulantly used at to obtain the receipt. It showed it as one of those AmEx Gift Cards (that you would buy in the checkout line at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc). That way, it doesn't have a name on it and they can't be asked for ID. I assume that's what they did here as well.

Funny story about my AmEx being stolen... One of the places they used the card was at an Applebee's to buy a couple $100 gift cards. I called and spoke with the manager and he cancelled out the gift cards... so when the scum took their whole family out to eat on MY dime, their gift cards were declined. :D

Last edited:
My card does not have an RFID chip... so that definitely wasn't it in my case. They acquired my numbers somehow and cloned it onto another card (my bank said they were "swipes" and I had my card in my possession).

When I had my AmEx number stolen a few years back, I called one of the places that the card was fraudulantly used at to obtain the receipt. It showed it as one of those AmEx Gift Cards (that you would buy in the checkout line at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc). That way, it doesn't have a name on it and they can't be asked for ID. I assume that's what they did here as well.

Funny story about my AmEx being stolen... One of the places they used the card was at an Applebee's to buy a couple $100 gift cards. I called and spoke with the manager and he cancelled out the gift cards... so when the scum took their whole family out to eat on MY dime, their gift cards were declined. :D
Sometimes I can be so dense. How could they get your numbers if the card was in your possession?

Funny story about Applebee's. I know that you must have a great sense of satisfaction by getting revenge!

AirRocker

Beach Lover
Dec 21, 2011
Sometimes I can be so dense. How could they get your numbers if the card was in your possession?

Funny story about Applebee's. I know that you must have a great sense of satisfaction by getting revenge!

I have no idea how they got the numbers. Maybe a bad apple in the accounting department at one of the stores I shopped at that could see the credit card records? Maybe a server at a restaurant took a photo of it or wrote them down when they went off to run my card? Maybe someone at a credit card processing company that is used by an establishment I patronized in SoWal? No telling.

It did feel good to get a bit of revenge. :)

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I was in SoWal for the month of February and got back to Dallas on the 4th of March. Not sure if there is a connection, but my credit card was compromised at some time and used on March 10th. My cc company was quick to alert me even though it was only a charge of $8.25. New card has arrived.

jack fish

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
credit card scam

seems like there would be more attention to this matter. we had our cards scammed today and when we called the bank they said we were the 14th caller of the day. their advice to us was to use checks and cash. this seems like a newsworthy happening here in sowal. seems a network of people are hacking into the wifi at publix, gas stations, and elsewhere, stealing our credit card info. be aware. this is a reality.