• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I am sadly returned to the snowy reaches of Cleveland Ohio after a fun filled two weeks sampling fish and seafood from Fort Walton Beach to Rosemary Beach! Blogging is in progress, and my first post can be seen here: http://funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com/2012/02/2012-fun-playing-with-fish-in-destin-fl.html.

Highlights from my first post include our visits to the Florida House of Destin (in the old Another Broken Egg location) - breakfast was delicious (the crab cakes are hidden under the poached egg and hollandaise):

6929606951_1c094e6615_o.jpg

and Harbor Docks, which seems to have regained its balance after a few shaky visits over the past few years, and offered up fresh fried mullet:

6929717487_65488605c7_o.jpg

Saddest of all, though, was learning of the July 5, 2012 passing of Mr. Ferrell Shipp, who served the best biscuits I ever tasted at his Silver Sands Breakfast for over 40 years. His family closed the breakfast business at the end of October, 2011. However, Harbor Docks has now just resumed serving breakfast (as of February 14, 2012). We stopped in 3 days later, and it was still a bit of a work in progress; there's a lot of detail on my blog. I'd love to know how the chicken and waffles are.

6783599304_105a3a5ea9_o.jpg

This was my biscuit with sausage gravy. Together with a side of cheese grits, it was a good breakfast, but, as noted, still a work in progress at the time.

Other places where we dined included 30A's Marie's Bistro, Shorty's, Fire and Nick's on the Beach, as well as the new Bentley's in Rosemary Beach, Louis Louis and Christiano's on the 30A end of 98, and places further west, including Camille's, Tightlines (old Lucky Snapper space in Destin), Original Dewey Destin's on the pier, and Fort Walton Beach's Original Waterfront Crab Shack, Stewby's and A La Carte. We also bought and cooked some shrimp from Sexton's, and for only the second time in 10 years of visits, enjoyed a pizza. I'll be reporting on all of these culinary adventures, with photographs, as I get it written for my blog.

Those of you who live in South Walton and environs are so lucky to have so many wonderful dining choices and suppliers. And to the restaurateurs, servers and others who bring the food to life, I say that we appreciate all of you. It is necessary to be honest in describing our experiences (which aren't always perfect, and sometimes not even very good, but they are what they are), but I always try to emphasize and focus on the positive.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am looking forward to reading all the details- you write so well about your food experiences, whether they are perfect or not! Thanks for taking the time to put them down and sharing.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
That's a lot of food! Thanks for the heads up.

Marie's Bistro is just Marie's Bistro, not 30A's Marie's Bistro. Bentley's is in Seacrest. Not sure what you mean by the 30A end of 98. Do you mean 98 in South Walton or SoWal?

Part II of the blog is now live: http://funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-fun-playing-with-fish-in-destin-fl.html. This post features our four visits to Marie's Bistro in Blue Mountain Beach. Marie's consistently delivers fresh, tasty food at very fair price points. But more than that, the warmth of their hospitality is like a breath of fresh air.

Highlights from this post included gently seared Gulf Tuna from our first dinner:

6932701123_7542ce43f1_o.jpg

and our lunch of Shrimp and Grits, which were every bit as good as the posts on this forum said they'd be!

6932701797_059facb247_o.jpg

If you haven't tried any of Marie's desserts, you're missing out on something special (thank you for treating us!):

6786584988_1806052299_o.jpg

And sushi-to-go hit the spot for the trip home:

6786587558_253e25f233_o.jpg

There are of course additional photos on the blog. Next up, several days of dining will be covered in a single post.

Bobbob - to me, the "30A end of 98" means that portion of State Route 98 that runs somewhat parallel to 30A.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
A great blog on Marie's! I live across the street and it is really nice to have such a wonderful place for food in my front yard. I am not a stranger to the place nor do I ever intend to be. That's much more than I can say for another place close by.

Part III of this year's story is now live: http://www.funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-fun-playing-with-gulf-coast-food.html. The remaining highlights from our first week included the new Tightlines in Destin, the fish at Nick's on the Beach, Dewey Destin (on the pier) and Shorty's, and our winner for "Best New Find of Trip": Christiano's, located on 98 in the space formerly occupied by Cafe Locanda. This post also includes photos from our Valentine's Day dinner that was discussed briefly on this thread: http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/60030-Restaurant-Fire-is-excellent!.

6950418185_19e10a0355_o.jpg
Cobia at Tightlines

6950453363_19ac615eb2.jpg
Mahi Taco at Shorty's

6953634243_62ca7d0e28_o.jpg
Bad-A-Bing Shrimp at Christiano's.

It pained me to report on a couple of meals that didn't stand out, more often because the plates didn't get to the table timely rather than anything being wrong with the food itself. The good news is that almost every place we visited served us at least one plate of very good food. Fun playing with food is the whole point of this exercise, after all! There will be one more blog post, detailing those meals from week 2 of the trip that haven't already been covered, as soon as I can get it written.

The concluding blog post on our February 2012 trip to Destin is now live, click here.

Standouts from this portion of the journey included Stewby's in Fort Walton Beach (which Beachmouse posted about the same day we first visited), Bamboo Sushi Bar & Hibachi Express in Crestview, Christiano's in Santa Rosa Beach (for a second dinner), and A La Carte in Fort Walton Beach.

6807615856_9b7f98e238.jpg
Tuna Tartare Stuffed Avocado, Baked in Bamboo Sauce, Bamboo Sushi

6807516046_722b982955_o.jpg
Crab Cake from A La Carte

6807530066_e08a3be0b4_o.jpg
Crab Cakes at Louis Louis

6953679119_548e59719a_o.jpg
Stewby's Fried Seafood Platter

6807625386_fc7d2525e3_o.jpg
Prepped shrimps from Sexton's Shrimp in Destin. We poached them and finished with butter.

The only real dud from this section of the trip was our Saturday dinner at Bentley's & Maddog's 30A. I am sorry to say that almost anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong that night, but new restaurants have their moments, so I'll leave it at that.

Overall, another fabulous visit to the Gulf Coast. We look forward to a speedy return, and I'll keep reading here for the scoop on the local dining scene for our next visit!​

Joyce Owen

SoWal Staff
Oct 8, 2007
SoWal.com
I like that you try the little off the beaten path spots. Not everyone has the time to visit as many locations, nor the $$, but you always seem to manage to introduce even locals to places that are right here just waiting for us to notice them.
Sorry not all was great, but I'm glad you are willing to share the good and not so good. I'm sure some owners will want to know where they are falling short and others, well, let's hope all of them want to provide the best meal for every customer

Thank you Joyce. I am all about the Fun With Food part, and I hate to say negative things about anyone. But unfortunately, in order to have credibility (not every place is always fantastic), I have to be honest. I expect that we will visit most of the places we visited this year again at some point; as I said in the first post, visiting once a year isn't always a fair barometer of what a restaurant does day in and day out.

We love finding the holes-in-the-wall! I hope that all of you will keep reporting on your favorites; I've already got the list for our next trip started!