• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Where are the best pastries in SoWal? Not muffins, not cakey pastries. I'm talking about the flaky pastries - plain croissants or filled pastries, that taste fresh from the oven. Ideally, I'm looking for a place on the east side of 30A - Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach, Seacrest Beach but I'll go anywhere for a nice fresh pastry.

For donuts, there's Charlie's donut truck in Alys Beach, though their hours are hard to predict. For beignets, there's Flip Flops who have them but I think in the summer only (we'll check if they have them during spring break as well). A lot of the coffee shops have very good muffins and cakey pastries (scones). But I am at a loss for where I can find flaky pastry.

Well, I'm off to spinning to make room for my SoWal pastries because I know I'll get some good recommendations on this board!

Vitamin D

Beach Comber
Jan 28, 2011
Pastries

Where are the best pastries in SoWal? Not muffins, not cakey pastries. I'm talking about the flaky pastries - plain croissants or filled pastries, that taste fresh from the oven. Ideally, I'm looking for a place on the east side of 30A - Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach, Seacrest Beach but I'll go anywhere for a nice fresh pastry.

For donuts, there's Charlie's donut truck in Alys Beach, though their hours are hard to predict. For beignets, there's Flip Flops who have them but I think in the summer only (we'll check if they have them during spring break as well). A lot of the coffee shops have very good muffins and cakey pastries (scones). But I am at a loss for where I can find flaky pastry.

Well, I'm off to spinning to make room for my SoWal pastries because I know I'll get some good recommendations on this board!

Good luck with that search. SOWAL is not civilization and does not have anything like a real bakery. The closet, albeit "earthy" is Lalobas in Blue Mt. At least they use quality ingredients!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Fresh Market in Destin has a few different varieties of croissants and such. I know that a real Frenchman would probably sneer, but I find their chocolate croissant flowers to be addicting.

I wish Fabrice was still around here.

Joyce Owen

SoWal Staff
Oct 8, 2007
SoWal.com
I've had scones from Wild Olives in Rosemary Beach and noticed there were other breakfast goodies in the display case. You might want to check them out.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I have fresh pastries at Fonville Press. I have them brought in from Bon Appetite in Ft Walton. Boskin is a French pastry chef. Chocolate croissants (to die for!), Ham & gureyere croissants, spinach and feta croissants and plain croissants. Paula....let me know when you will be here and I'll make sure I save some for you!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks, All. And Allifunn, knowing there are fresh pastries at Fonville Press brings happy tears to my eyes. I'll see you there (with my sweetie) the weekend of April 20. Hope to see you soon.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I look forward to seeing you!!!! (and finally meeting your sweetie!!)

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Allifunn - that is good to know. We often hit Charlie's in the morning with the kids. Then head over to the alys hill to eat them and play. I'd much rather skip the donuts (for me - not my boys!) and grab a croissant at Fonville!

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
We tried Charlie's Donut Truck and were really disappointed. Can't think of the name of it but there is a dive place down front beach road heading toward Panama City. On the left and they have the best donuts. Burgers are good too but they are closed 1 day a week. Check it out. A little bit of a drive but worth it.