• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Just wondering if anyone is patrolling the beach currently. Every time I have called with a complaint in the past I have been told the beach is patrolled 24/7. If that is so, why all the under age drinking, bottles and many, many loose and unsupervised dogs on the beach? It's a free for all on our beach and many times it is just easier and safer to stay home and I live here! I walk with a friend and all the dogs seem to run and jump on her and it is a real nuisance. Not to mention all the barking we shouldn't have to put up with either. There is a leash law in Walton County and a Beach Ordinance!!! Anyone out there watching??? If not, there should be!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Lots of beach, few deputies. No one in SoWal wants to offend tourists and in general it is OK with most of us I think ad long as no lines are crossed. I hvae heard of at least one case last week where a deputy was walking the beach telling young drinkers to pour out their drinks. A warning is fine with me as long as they aren't breaking notjing.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Oops sorry about the spelling one too many easter momisas.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Oh really now. Could that deputy guarantee that those young drinkers would not get in a car and drive shortly after his encounter with them? Then the deputy would also be accountable, right?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
They did charge nine people with underage drinking and one for glass on the beach last Thursday and Friday, according to court records. The charges for this weekend won't show up in the records until next week.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
i'm amazed at the lackadaisical attitude around here. "As long as we don't offend the tourists". So we have to tiptoe around them and just accept the excessive drinking, garbage, loose dogs (they aren't permitted to have dogs period on the beach as you must have a permit....yeah, right). all we ask is that laws and regulations be enforced. otherwise, why bother passing them? My family and I were tourists for years, and we never caused issues for others. we were responsible - never even thought to leave things on the beach when we left or bring a family pet and let it run and defecate all over.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Y'all sound like fussypoops. Ever been young? Ever been on vacation? Regardless, as long as no one is getting hurt some bad behavior comes with the territory. If you own a restaurant you don't throw everyone out that is too loud or too rude. You grin and bear it, to a degree. If you want to live in a tourist area and get the dough and advertise for more and more people to come here you have to expect it to get worse and worse. In case you don't know, this place is paradise as long as you don't have more than a few thousand visitors at once. Most of the year now there are too many people. If you want oit quiet you need to move to a non-tourist area.

Personally I believe the last 12 months have proven we need to stop advertising immediately.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Fussypoops? Is that even a word? Since it is Easter Sunday after all, let my quote scripture to you and if you need a translation let me know. Please read Proverbs 26:4 and that will tell you all you need to know on this subject from me. If you don't understand it, let me know that too and I will explain it to you.

Last edited:

SoWal 30A

Beach Comber
Seriously?!?

Look, the deputies know exactly where they need to be. I don't care about underage drinkers…I care about the person whose life needs protecting. Deputies strategize their time and staging location to both deter crimes and and maximize their response times to predictable areas of concern. What do you expect them to do, babysit teenagers and NOT be available in life threatening situations…seriously? Look, better for those teenagers to drink in public than to do so in a secluded location where their safety is truly jeopardized by lack of witnesses to call for help. Try standing up for yourself, policing yourself and those around you, and stop expecting deputies handle every single controversy in your life. I cant believe it sounded like you were talking trash on deputies…! Who are you!?!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Couldn't help myself and I'm going to get myself into this one because underage drinking can lead to underage drinking and driving so I do care about underage drinkers (or any drinking and driving - there are taxis in SoWal to help us avoid that). My daughters lost an eight year old friend due to a drunk driver and her sister is permanently disabled, so I'm not against drunk driving in theory only. So, it's not a trivial issue at all for law enforcement, though I do agree they are very busy. As for the dogs, I'm fine with them on the beach if the people have a license for their pets and follow the rules about leashes and picki up their dogs' poop so that everyone can enjoy the beach. SoWal has plenty of great tourists/guests who are happy to be good citizens so I'm perfectly fine if those who want to drink on the beach and let their dogs run wild/poop on the beach want to go somewhere else to vacation. We live in a community and that means everyone can't do whatever they want whenever and wherever they want. That's a great lesson for teenagers to learn. And even if we didn't have enough tourists, drunk people on the beach and drunk drivers aren't worth any amount of cash to me. SoWal is a beautiful, good-willed community - a little paradise on earth - so let's keep it that way. As far as who I am - I'm just a Mom who loves SoWal (and who enjoys a nice glass of wine or a mimosa).