• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jami20

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2012
After looking around for a while I think I've narrowed down the area I'm interested in finding a home in. It looks like the place that would be the best fit for me and my family would be in the Old Seagrove area near Seaside around the intersection of 30A and 395. I like the older cottages and the fact there aren't any HOA fees, and also the proximity to be able to quickly walk to the beach or the events at Seaside/Watercolor.

What's the best source of listings for homes here? I've visited the emerald coast MLS and there's not a lot for sale right now. I'm looking for something that's older and shabbier which I could get for under $400K. Are homes that go on sale here usually listed in the MLS or are they sold by owners or without being listed?

Just curious. Thanks for your help in advance.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Jami, the best way to find properties is to find a good Realtor who can do the looking for you. There are a few For Sale by Owner lots in that area, but they are priced like it is still 2006. Occasionally, there have been a few good deals, but they sell quickly. There are no current listings for homes in that area priced under $450,000.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
After looking around for a while I think I've narrowed down the area I'm interested in finding a home in. It looks like the place that would be the best fit for me and my family would be in the Old Seagrove area near Seaside around the intersection of 30A and 395. I like the older cottages and the fact there aren't any HOA fees, and also the proximity to be able to quickly walk to the beach or the events at Seaside/Watercolor.

What's the best source of listings for homes here? I've visited the emerald coast MLS and there's not a lot for sale right now. I'm looking for something that's older and shabbier which I could get for under $400K. Are homes that go on sale here usually listed in the MLS or are they sold by owners or without being listed?

Just curious. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jami, the best way to find your property is to use all your resources! And have fun it it so exciting is it not?

Keep your eye on the local MLS site - http://emeraldcoasthomesonline.com
Keep your ear to the ground. A lot of properties get sold by owner or word of mouth. Old Seagrove is small and very popular. You are right to want to be there. If you don't live here then make friends in the neighborhood. keep your eye on this forum, look at bulletin boards. Have lunch at Seagrove Market and talk to people there. It may take awhile - good luck!

Jami20

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies. And yes, it is fun and exciting looking into possible homes to purchase. Right now I'm just trying to make sure that we find a place that works for us and could be a good rental when we're not there. And all for the right price. It's both fun and difficult.

Tailwagger, I guessed that a lot of homes in the area probably sell by word of mouth without ever hitting the market. And as an outsider that's one of the most difficult problems to face when coming into a smaller and older area. Hopefully we'll have some luck and can find something that is perfect for us.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Your price is going to be hard to find and please be aware that living in that area also brings many problems in addition to the advantages. Hard to beat a quick walk to beach or Seaside and Watercolor events and amenities, but the traffic and rude behavior often offset it. Spring break was absolute hell this year as the police reports show.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
Thanks for the replies. And yes, it is fun and exciting looking into possible homes to purchase. Right now I'm just trying to make sure that we find a place that works for us and could be a good rental when we're not there. And all for the right price. It's both fun and difficult.

Tailwagger, I guessed that a lot of homes in the area probably sell by word of mouth without ever hitting the market. And as an outsider that's one of the most difficult problems to face when coming into a smaller and older area. Hopefully we'll have some luck and can find something that is perfect for us.

Zebraspots is right - I would try to get on one of the quieter roads. Maybe you can do a long term rental for awhile
and get to be an insider. But rentals are hard to come by also.