• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DiDa723

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2007
I have a vacation rental home at the Eastern Lake access and my current renters just went home early due to the inaccessibility of the beach because of the outfall encroaching that western side... My next guests are a wedding on the beach right there....

Does anyone know if there are plans to "re-route" the outfall?? This could have a major impact on rentals in that area not to mention the danger. It is quite an active access point!

Any suggestions for who to contact? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
The homes that were built beside the outfall are what is "re-routing the outfall. Or rather restricting it's natural course. Too bad nature was/is not allowed to take it's course in South Walton. The lake and our environment are more important than rentals.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Agreed, Jim. Would much prefer that people stop "re-routing" Mother Nature and let the lakes take care of themselves (as they somehow managed to do quite nicely long before people came along to muck it all up). I've been down to the outfall fairly frequently recently, and fail to see how it presents a danger. Apologies to your wedding party, but perhaps they can simply re-route a bit themselves? The purpose of a beach wedding is the beauty of the natural surroundings, right?

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
Agreed, Jim. Would much prefer that people stop "re-routing" Mother Nature and let the lakes take care of themselves (as they somehow managed to do quite nicely long before people came along to muck it all up). I've been down to the outfall fairly frequently recently, and fail to see how it presents a danger. Apologies to your wedding party, but perhaps they can simply re-route a bit themselves? The purpose of a beach wedding is the beauty of the natural surroundings, right?

Nice post!

Don't you wish sometimes you could go back in a time machine and tell folks not to build so near the gulf and lakes? Imagine if their was no construction south of 30a - wow! Just a little parking and some restrooms and boardwalks. I guess there's no money in that. LOL pant pant

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I would not expect it to be re-routed. There is another public access walkover on Eastern Lake Road about 12 properties to the west. Hope that helps.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
The homes that were built beside the outfall are what is "re-routing the outfall. Or rather restricting it's natural course. Too bad nature was/is not allowed to take it's course in South Walton. The lake and our environment are more important than rentals.

Well said.

DiDa723

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2007
Eastern Lake Outfall

Well said.

I will have to admit, I'm very pro letting nature take it's course and have been/and am active in several local nature-related organizations... but don't forget, tourism is what Walton County is about and depends upon. The tax dollars from tourism (and rentals) are utilized to keep this area as "beautiful and pristine" as it can. The houses ARE there and I believe there are ways to address this in a symbiotic fashion- Re-routing does not mean manually closing or opening the outfall- it would just alleviate the potential hazard to the home(s) in it's path- in addition to the danger in the foot traffic around the edges. I've seen the sand break and people fall on several occasions.

Would I like to not see any homes on the beach and be able to view the ocean when I drive down 30-A? Of course. But it's not reality. Walton County has done a terrific job of keeping the building codes in check given the popularity of this magnificent area and I pray it continues to keep that focus.

Many of the area homeowners rely on the rental income to support their investment in this area and some rely on it entirely. The oil spill was catastrophic in many ways - why not work together on a situation that CAN be managed?

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
That outflow and the pollution of Eastern Lake by fertilizer and septic runoff is a old and sore topic,

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
I haven't said a word about wishing the houses weren't there--they are and that's that. I was referring to people choosing when and where to open the lake, and trying to manipulate its course. I understand your concerns, because you've obviously had a guest leave unhappy. My take on it, though, because I often talk to tourists during the week while I'm on the beach, is that they are fascinated by it, and thrilled that it gives their children a place to play. In all the people I've talked to, I've never had anyone say, "Man, if it were just ten feet to the left..."

I also understand your concerns about safety, as sometimes it does cut a little sharp on the drop off but, again, most people don't seem to be bothered by it and, if they are, there is another walkover just down the street. In fact, since the fencing was reestablished around the house on the easternmost corner of ELR, there's really not even room to walk in the places that are too steep. No adult would bother trying, and every adult keeps their kids away from it (except for the ones I saw Easter week who were letting their kids slide down the uber-steep cliff on boogie boards--yeah. They were REALLY concerned about it then... :D )

Honestly, I've been on that lake, going to that section of beach my entire life, and truly fail to see any real need to try and reroute something that doesn't seem to be a problem for the majority of the tourists you're concerned about. I was down there yesterday, and it was business (funn) as usual--there was plenty of safe ground for people to walk on on both sides of the outfall, children running and playing while their parents relaxed nearby, and lots of little crabs and fishes enjoying their natural habitat. Why on earth should we change that?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Very nice post, kitlit, thanks.

I wonder if the unhappy guests would have been so unhappy if they had an understanding of how rare these lakes are, how the outlets naturally move around, and how changing that would screw up the hydrology of the lake?
In my experience knowledge goes a long way towards understanding.
Too bad the TDC can't see their way to using some of the money earmarked for paving over state forest and putting it towards an educational campaign. They could provide rental home owners, especially ones located near the dune lakes, with informative material to place in the homes, for instance.