• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ny4fd

Beach Crab
Apr 28, 2012
wife & I recently purchased lot in SR B. looking to get started with plans for home etc... desire good leads. thanks

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
Are you looking for an architect or looking to go cheapo? There are sme cheap and good architects around right now.

ny4fd

Beach Crab
Apr 28, 2012
Are you looking for an architect or looking to go cheapo? There are sme cheap and good architects around right now.

I would love to say $ is no object.. looking to build small home approx 1500sqft. I certainly would use architect, but the $ may dictate a draftsman and seperate engineering. Heading up next week to make some inroads here.. tnx

I'll bet you can get a good deal on an architect, Unfortunately for them, architects aren't making any money now according to Forbes.

Our daughter was an architecture major at MIT. Thank God she changed majors. Can you imagine if we had paid that much money for 4 years, then she would have had to do a masters, and then a two-year internship just to get a real job? MIT only offers need-based scholarships (we didn't qualify) because anyone smart enough to get into MIT is deserving of an academic scholarship so they don't give them (unless you're a minority, and then you can get in with a 1200 SAT as our daughter's best friend did).

If I had another child, we'd check Hispanic, and that child would get into every Ivy League school plus MIT plus any other top-ten school with a scholarship.

She did get a full-ride for a 5 year bachelors and masters degree at our alma mater, Tulane. But how can you turn down being accepted at MIT.?

I digress. I think you can find a reasonably priced architect. Do either of you know Sketch-Up? Hubby does. and he built a 3-D graphical model of what we wanted which futher decreased our architectural fees.

ny4fd

Beach Crab
Apr 28, 2012
Franny... Tnx for recommendation We are heading up there next week. I will contact him.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Get an architect instead of a draftsman and save yourself a ton of trouble and money in the long run.

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
Contact Lewis Jones. He has been building homes in Walton County including the communities along 30A for over 25 years. He builds on a cost plus basis and is able to offer existing plans that can be modified to your needs or work with you on developing your plan and ideas. I am working with him to build an 1800 sq ft Coastal cottage on a lot near Gulf Place that I purchased in March.
Email: ffimg@hotmail.com