• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
If this were a zero sum game, I might agree that a half-term favorably served is better than none at all. Instead, others are available and willing to favorably serve a full term.

Running for office necessarily implies that the candidate makes a commitment to serve for the entirety of the office's term. Implying such a commitment while intending to seek another office before the expiration of the first is disengenous and dishonest.

In any event, don't you agree it is a fair question deserving of a fair and honest answer? Absent an answer, isn't it safe to assume a candidate intends to serve the full term?

Looking at the Supervisor of Elections website Mr Davis is the only one running so it seems that he is the only one willing to serve.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
How did you make the leap from Mr. Davis saying he was not sure he would even run again to him running, winning, then resigning to run for another office?

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
It's what I have heard, zebra. I never said that I extrapolated it from his statement that he was unsure about running this time. And, Bob Wells, had he disclosed his intention to seek another office before the expiration of his school board term, perhaps someone would have run for the position.

Is this really such a difficult question to answer that all these surrogates must leap to obfuscate the issue?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
First of all I am not a surrogate, I don't even know Mr Davis other than to say I voted for him and believe him to be an asset on the School Board. You have made a statement that you have heard that Mr Davis is considering to run for Judge LaPorte's seat upon his retirement. I will still vote for Mr Davis unless someone jumps in the race that I feel would do a better job. Keep stirring the pot, its what keeps politics interesting. Thanks

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
It kinda sounds like you are a surrogate for someone who wants to run but doesn't think they could beat Mr. Davis. Is that accurate? I don't know Mr. Davis either but when the word surrogate is used, things seem a little fishy.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Sorry for the delay in responding, but, I just saw the thread.

I am running again for the School Board. I wasnt' really sure that I was going to run again, but, I do feel I have been effective in certain areas and I still have a contribution to make. I have been there 17 years this summer and I wanted to make sure that I was running for reelection for the right reasons.

I believe Judge LaPorte's seat does come up in two years, but, I have no idea, at this point whether I would run for that position or not. I have thought about being a judge and actually applied to be appointed twice, got nominated, but our two local circuit judges were appointed instead. I truly enjoy practicing law in front of both of them and hold them in very high regard. There are so many variables in the decision to seek a judicial seat, financial, family, etc., not the least of which is whether, in two years, I would want to be a judge. I enjoy what I do know and really enjoy serving on the School Board. Franklly, one of the reasons (besides youth) that I did not apply for a Judgeship in the late nineties was because I had just got elected to the school board and wanted to finish that term. Thus, if I am re-elected to the School Board, having to resign, should I be fortunate enough to win a judgeship, is another factor I would weigh carefully. Also, it would depend who else shows interest in our local judgeship. It might be somebody I feel would be more qualified than me. By the way, I have been asked about the Judge position many times which is very flattering. But again, I have not made that decision and would want to wait until it actually becomes formally available and then think it through again.

That is long way of saying, I am running for school board. I don't know today if I would run for a Judgeship but I would certainly consider it.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I like your openess and appreciate it. You have just lost my vote, however, as, as a whole, I detest lawyers. Many of them are an absolute disgrace to their profession and society in general. On second thought, knowing of your very valued service, I will reconsider and vote for you. (Take all of the above considering you personally with a grain of salt.)

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
I like your openess and appreciate it. You have just lost my vote, however, as, as a whole, I detest lawyers. Many of them are an absolute disgrace to their profession and society in general. On second thought, knowing of your very valued service, I will reconsider and vote for you. (Take all of the above considering you personally with a grain of salt.)

Thanks Andy, always enjoy your posts....