• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
kurt said:
If you personal property after a storm it's like other lost and found. You report it to the SO and if no one claims it after a certain amount of time it's yours.

Wood would be hard to identify and I don't think anyone cares.

True. I suppose insurance covers their loss so it's not really any big deal. It's too bad tornados don't leave intact 2 x 6 s laying around over here... we are in the planning stages (aka saving up the money) of our deck building right now.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
We put up 14 brand new sand fences just before turtle season. Saw one of Kurt's pixs of our home and they are ALL GONE. If you find it, I'll come get it!
(thankfully our home is still there and I think the fences did help a little)

Our insurance does not cover a lot of things including sand fencing even though it is a protective measure. Now let's see... $$$$ per fence x 14 fences divided by 30 days equals about $50 a day we paid for the fencing... OUCH ......

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kathryn said:
We put up 14 brand new sand fences just before turtle season. Saw one of Kurt's pixs of our home and they are ALL GONE. If you find it, I'll come get it!
(thankfully our home is still there and I think the fences did help a little)

Our insurance does not cover a lot of things including sand fencing even though it is a protective measure. Now let's see... $$$$ per fence x 14 fences divided by 30 days equals about $50 a day we paid for the fencing... OUCH ......

P6260053.JPG

Do you recognize any of your sand fence? There are bit and pieces out here. Come and get them if you want to. :) I don't think they have any fishing gear stuck in them, so they should be here for a while.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
I am officially disgusted by the inadequacies of our governement. There is still debris everywhere and I have seen no evidence of any clean up. Grayton is pitiful. All those nice piles of debris that volunteers gathered up for the county to pick up have mostly been spread out again. How do you let all that stuff sit for weeks and not pick it up before the biggest holiday weekend of the year? Who has my tax money in their pocket?

There's a big volunteer cleanup on July 5th. Are we supposed to gather all that stuff up again and hope the county picks it up before it gets scattered, covered, or washed away?

AND - I feel like scolding parents that are letting kids pull lumber and trash out of the piles and play with it, a lot of it pressure treated with poisonous chemicals, sharp broken pieces, and some with nails and screws sticking out.

Groups of unsupervised kids are making forts out of the stuff and it's scattered everywhere. They're digging huge holes and covering them with plywood and other lumber. This is a recipe for disaster. I've heard of kids in FLA dying in these tunnel forts when the sand collapses.

And it's not just kids. I saw one idiot in his 20s dig a hole on the side of the lake today that must have been 6' X 8' by about 4 feet deep and then collect plywood and other crap to make a shelter. Not only did he make a big mess but I don't doubt he'll leave it there for some other persons' kid to get injured or killed.

Maybe the county is too busy conducting anti-shark PR (please don't be scared come spend your money it was just a fluke). How would it be if some 6-year old got smothered or crushed? I wonder if that would make CNN?

If you have concern:

Brad Pickel - TDC, bpickel@beachesofsouthwalton.com

Beach Activities Coordinator - Ken Wilde, wilken@co.walton.fl.us
County Commissioners:

? Dist. 1 -Scott Brannon, (850) 622-3081, brascott@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 2 - Kenneth Pridgen, (850) 834-6328, prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 3 - Larry Jones (850) 892-8474, jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 4 - Ro Cuchens, (850) 835-4834 cucro@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 5 - Cindy Meadows, (850) 622-3059 meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Fox I agree that things are a mess and dangerous. It's sad that some accident will have to happen before action is taken.

I thought this letter to the Walton Sun was also relevant:

Sad beaches
Our beaches are now in such a sad state due to Arlene?s visit. Yet, I had high hopes that recovery and rebuilding would be better than last year.
After Ivan, many Gulf front property owners built humongous walkovers, far larger than what they had prior to the hurricane. Many appeared to have been built without permits.
In any event, these replacement steps/ walkovers consisted of very long landings, some as long as 12 feet, some with landings more like decks ? storage units and benches, and showers.
Before Arlene, we suffered a lot of erosion of the beach. At high tide, these very long, beachinvasive structures effectively prevented anyone?s walking on the beach as the tide went way up under these steps and long landings. This not only stopped pedestrian traffic, but also would have blocked any emergency vehicle that might have needed to get by.
And then came Arlene and the end for many of these humongous walkovers. Letters and calls to the Department of Environmental Protection begged for only simple, straight steps to now be built as replacement.
Alas, can you imagine my disappointment upon watching a humongous set of steps/walkover start to be rebuilt ? and rebuilt illegally. No permit had been issued for this construction.
You would think that Walton County and DEP would have learned about illegal rebuilding and oversize walkovers after Ivan and would permit only simple walkovers for any future rebuilding.
Martha Heller
Blue Mountain Beach

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe Walton County is only worried about getting clean when the blue flags are being awarded. Kind of like the restaurant that cleans up when they know the health inspector's coming:

Walton County Beaches listed as clean

The Clean Beaches Council on June 24 released its 2005 list of beaches that have been officially certified as clean, healthy and environmentally well managed.
According to a May 2005 Travel Industry Association of America survey, Americans will travel in record numbers this summer, a 2.3 percent increase from last year. More than 328 million trips are predicted for this season with 75 percent of respondents listing a trip to a beach or lake as one of their three top summer destinations.
Now in its seventh year, the non-profit Clean Beaches Council runs the most comprehensive, national environmental and public safety beach certification program in the country. For the public, the program provides a ?good housekeeping? stamp of approval for beaches, giving visitors an enjoyable vacation and peace of mind. For beach communities, it is an ?eco-label? which means the beach has met a set of rigorous health and safety standards and is managed to protect the natural environment.
To be certified, applicants must meet the program?s criteria for water quality, beach and intertidal conditions, safety, services, habitat conservation, erosion management, public information and education. Beaches that meet these criteria receive the Blue Wave flag, the symbol of the program, which is prominently displayed beachside.
For more information: www.cleanbeaches.org/bluewave/bluewave.cfm

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Kids always seem to make the best of situations like that.