• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
It was posted here recently that if business wasn't so good that people wouldn't be so critical of our South Walton TDC. True or not true?

The question is: is business good because we have a high-functioning TDC or does it not matter? Should the TDC just take care of the beaches and walkovers, beach safety and such, or should they be actively marketing our area? Do you have to keep spending to get people here?

I have an educated guess that business owners, especially bed tax collectors, are thrilled that business is so good and that the TDC is on top of things. Also that BP money came in and our TDC was on top of things and got a great share of it and was ahead of the game. That the big players watch the TDC very closely and keep them in line and actually guide them.

On the other hand, ordinary folks who don't rely on tourist dollars, (or think they don't) would rather not have so many tourists.

\ from yesterday's BCC meeting /

TDC Director Dawn Moliterno said the bed tax collection for March was a 58% increase. The TDC won 11 marketing awards. During a discussion, Pat Blackshear told the commissioners the TDC Beach Accesses are full and she wants the commissioners to begin looking at addressing the needs for additional access space.

Moliterno said the recent events in Okaloosa do not reflect the way TDC’s operate. She reminded the commissioners the Walton TDC went through a vigorous financial review and as a result policies were adopted. She said, when dollars come in, they go to the Comptroller and she has a spending authority of $25,000. Moliterno said the TDC does not hold the checkbook. She said the fiscal responsibility with the BP grant is not taken lightly.

Commissioner Larry Jones suggested the BCC and the TDC Board schedule a joint meeting to address the issues that have come before them so as they move forward they know what is expected. He said he wants to thank them for their service. Commissioner Comander agreed, saying she does not want anyone on the TDC Board to think they are not appreciated. The meeting will look at the goals of the TDC.

What should be the goals of the TDC if different than what they are now? Tourism is the only game in town. Should we continue to feed the golden goose or spend time and money diversifying Walton's economy?

Thoughts?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It should not be an either or matter. We can diversify our economy and still agressively seek our now main source of income, tourism. Some will ask how do we create hugh manufacturing plants such as the automobile industry in Alabama and Tennessee. The answer is you don't. You begin by making the business climate attractive to light industry and the technological fields. You provide them access to land where they can develop and grow. If their movement here is made attractive enough, it is like the ball field. Build it and they will come. The difference is they do their own building, but we supply the resources to them to do that.

The mission of the Tourist Development Council should be re-evaluated and changed, IMO. It is changing already to some degee and that change should be further amplified. BP has a nationwide ad out touting the great advantages of vacations on the Gulf and Emerald Coast. Dawn Moliterno is a part of that ad. It is effective and says what needs to be emphasize to attract visitors to our area. We should let others do the advertising of the area while the TDC concentrates on supporting those visitors arriving or already here. We need a really nice Welcome center such as the ones available as you enter Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. The path to it should be well advertised and marked. All information regarding the area should be readily availabe to tourists stopping as I am sure it is now. Somehow, I get the feeling that the Welcome Center as it is now is underutilized by our guests. I am not an expert so I may be wrong. Not only should we have a nice, attractive Welcome Center, we should have kiosks availabe at areas visitors frequent, particularly the beach accesses. Those manning those kiosks would provide a smile, a hearty welcome the the beaches of South Walton and friendly information on the "do's" and "don'ts" regarding our beaches and Dune Lakes.

The role of the TDC should change I strongly believe. It should be smaller, less focused on advertising and more focused on its availabilty to those who arrive here. This is only one man's thoughts and I await to hear what others will express.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Excellent post Andy!

I believe Bay County may start getting some excellent industry along 79 because of the airport and road improvements. I suppose Walton may benefit a little from that, but only real estate and food service probably. I think if you want a TDC welcome center then 98 would have been the perfect place. We could have educated some of the folks who wizz through on their ways between Panama City and Destin. Many times I've heard folks say "we didn't know anything was between except forest," and then one day they decided to head south off 98 and found South Walton Beaches.

And Keep in mind that BP money will dry up and things will get back to "normal".

This website probably does all the marketing you need. I hear people saying all the time they visit here or moved here because they first found out about our area on this site. A picture is worth a thousand words (or ads?).

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes Andy, well said.

I don't think we need a huge welcome center, something small and nice will do the job, and little TDC satellite/kiosk things around town would be great and get the information out in front of people where they go- the beach and the grocery. Work a deal with Publix, the major resort communities, and utilize the the larger beach accesses. I don't know who conducted the needs assessment that told the TDC they need ONE big shiny building to get more people coming through, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you put info out where people will have to trip over it (like a grocery or beach access), that info will reach more people, and it will probably cost a whole lot less than building a shiny new building, not to mention the kiosks could be up and running faster than any building could be built.

Conference room/meeting space is available at the library, government center, and at our resort communities- I am sure if it is larger conference room space that is needed, then maybe they can work a deal with some of these places. How large is the actual TDC staff? How many offices do they really need, or is this a case of needs vs. wants?

The TDC gives grants to organizations who put on events that put "heads in beds"- like Songwriters, Destin Charity Wine Auction, Seeing Red, etc. These events are just as important in marketing South Walton as any marketing coming straight from the TDC- they work like tentacles, and the TDC knows that. It would be wonderful if more money would be given to some of the smaller groups who don't necessarily provide an "experience" that brings a visitor to our area, but rather is part of the atmosphere that makes South Walton great and provides an experience they take advantage of once they are here.

Pat Blackshear's comment concerns me because she is right- we have maxed out our accesses, and we still want more and more visitors. Already, many accesses look like Miami Beach in busy weeks, parking is a nightmare, most do not have restroom facilities. If we continue to demand more and more visitors to fill our rental units and frequent our businesses, then we are going to have to make some hard and painful decisions about how to handle the resource they came to visit in the first place- the beach.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
Jdarg - nice post. I'll post more later but quickly I'll say that the TDC office space is maxed out. They'll be happy to give you a quick tour. I've found all the people who work there very friendly, caring, and professional. They want the best for SoWal - late public perception is a overboard IMO.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Jdarg - nice post. I'll post more later but quickly I'll say that the TDC office space is maxed out. They'll be happy to give you a quick tour. I've found all the people who work there very friendly, caring, and professional. They want the best for SoWal - late public perception is a overboard IMO.

I am sure there is plenty of available office space to suit their needs- does it have to be brand new? And I am also sure they are everything you say they are, as I know a few of them too ;), however, some of their recent marketing decisions have not been popular, for many good reasons as we all know.

This is kind of like the Walton County School District- the not -so-great news always gets the tongues wagging. Maybe both organizations should be doing a better job of getting as much good news out about themselves as possible, and get the good will of the community behind them. I know this is easier said than done, as it seems to be human nature to be oblivious to any news unless it is titillating or smells even slightly of scandal and intrigue.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
With respect to the TDC beach accesses (i.e., the public access points) being full, has the TDC or the BCC ever tried to address this by adding more?

Let me start by saying that I am not posting this as a TDC representative but someone with in-depth knowledge of the situation.

Yes, the TDC continues to develop and build out access points. In the past two-three years, restrooms have been added in Inlet Beach, about 50 parking spots in Seagrove at the Santa Clara Beach Access, over 100 parking spots were constructed along Scenic Gulf Drive across from Seascape by Public Works and is now being maintained by the TDC, and there are other projects that are in different stages of evaluation and design. Additionally, a number of bay access points have been re-worked to add parking and amenities. Please stay tuned as more projects are discussed and come online.

One issue that often arises is in areas that the County doesn't own or have easements for. If the County doesn't own the land or have an easement, the County would have to buy the land as it is illegal to purchase land with TDC dollars. The TDC owns no properties.

This is often a sticking point with shrinking ad valorem tax revenues. That being said, the County and TDC have been able to secure properties or easements from private individuals, and state and federal agencies for development over the years. Some of those acquisitions have led to the larger regional accesses including: Inlet Beach Regional Access, Walton Dunes Regional Beach Access, Van Ness Butler Jr. Regional Access, Grayton Beach Regional Access, Ed Walline Regional Beach Access, Dune Allen Regional Access, Miramar Beach Regional Access and Scenic Gulf Drive Regional Access (aren't positive on the name as it is across from Seascape). I believe the TDC currently maintains 67 beach, bay and lake accesses for the County.

Hope this helps.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Jdarg and BeachSiO2, great and informative posts.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
I am sure there is plenty of available office space to suit their needs- does it have to be brand new? And I am also sure they are everything you say they are, as I know a few of them too ;), however, some of their recent marketing decisions have not been popular, for many good reasons as we all know.

This is kind of like the Walton County School District- the not -so-great news always gets the tongues wagging. Maybe both organizations should be doing a better job of getting as much good news out about themselves as possible, and get the good will of the community behind them. I know this is easier said than done, as it seems to be human nature to be oblivious to any news unless it is titillating or smells even slightly of scandal and intrigue.

Office space - no it doesn't have to be new but I doubt there is any space available that is already built. They could only gain a small amount if they moved the welcome center portion out of the current building - maybe 400 sf. The meeting room is too small now, but if they used that for office space they could gain another 600 sf or so. There are advantages of having everything under one roof or close together I am sure. A nice 2,500 sf welcome center with less expensive office building behind with about 8,000 sf should do nicely. But the TDC also has a lot of storage needs.

If there is land fronting 331 big enough that the county owns, then building cost should be under $2 mil. Just a guess.

As for your second point about intrigue - we have such a small town, folks are hungry for drama. Aside from some commish stupidity and general ignorance there ain't much going on except maybe petty jealousy and a little biz incest.