• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Florida Fever

Beach Comber
Jun 7, 2012
@ paula... I got the text alert number from www.swfd.org. I texted a number and it sent me a message and asked how many days I would be visiting I put in the number of days and got the messages the duration of the trip. Or you had the option of getting them every day.

The last day I got my message when we were comimg home I got a nice message saying thanks for visiting SoWal and travel safe. Very cool!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
@ paula... I got the text alert number from www.swfd.org. I texted a number and it sent me a message and asked how many days I would be visiting I put in the number of days and got the messages the duration of the trip. Or you had the option of getting them every day.

The last day I got my message when we were comimg home I got a nice message saying thanks for visiting SoWal and travel safe. Very cool!

I love SWFD........thank you for posting Florida Fever!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I agree with everything sunspotbaby wrote. I'm not surprised people are shocked to hear someone actually drowned, because I think the news rarely makes it from the local media outlets to the visitors when that happens.

I wonder if a counter-type warning would help. Something like the following posted on beach accesses:

Number of drownings last year: 10
Number of drownings this year: 2
Number of drownings this month: 2
Number of drownings this week: 2

Flags are helpful, but they're also abstract, like so many other warnings in our lives. Most people are going to think they don't really apply to them because that's how we get through of our days. Actual numbers of dead produces a more visceral reaction that can't as easily be discounted.

I also think it would be helpful to have the occasional free classes during the peak season on how to survive in the surf. Rip current survival workshops. Classes where small groups get in the water and experience the surf and maybe even an actual rip current and how to get out of it with trained lifeguards instructing, with visitors encouraged to join in.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
So far, from the responsed here, it seems that most visitors are aware of the flag system, apparantly that information is not enough. Something else needs to be done. Any suggestions?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
From all the comments, the problem is obviously that visitors are somewhat to very aware of the flag system, but because of the one week nature of their vacation, there is no importance or urgency assigned to really paying attention to it. How to really overcome this is worrisome.

Our friend from Naples said they don't have a flag system there, and they don't have many drownings. She is finding this whole discussion interesting. Are the water conditions different there? Or the visitors more cautious? I am curious.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Interesting. We used to not have drownings here either , it seems after Hurricane Opal in 1995 the sea floor changed and has resulted in more rip tides. Or, maybe there are more visiotrs now and that has increased the drowning numbers. Regardless, there is a problem and any drowning is unacceptable if it can be prevented.

The Sheriff Dept. issues citations for those that ignore double red flags, if they are caught and with 26 miles of beach shore, it's difficult patrol. Do you think a higher fine, one with teeth in it, will help or drive visitors away?

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
Maybe the flags aren't completely useless. Maybe (probably?) they stop a lot of people from going into the water. The problem is that you only see the people that disregarded them.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I just returned from our walkover and double red flags are flying. For once, there are no people in the water for as far as I could see in either direction.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I find the flags very helpful and I think they save lives. Even if some idiots do ignore them, many heed them.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
I just now put those numbers in my phone, won't be going until Sept. ,by then I would have forgotten them. Thanks for posting the info.