• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I thought the South Walton Fire Dept. determines the beach conditions, flag changes, and trains the lifeguard staff, not the TDC? I did a quick search and can't find where the TDC participates here, other than share the flag safety stuff. Do they help fund the lifeguard program?

The TDC does help fund the lifeguards. SWFD determines which flag to fly.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
I have taken to calling the renters at our cottages when they arrive to welcome them, to find out if they need anything and if everything's OK at the cottages, and to remind them to take the flag system seriously. I let them know that in my experience (from what I've read on this board over the years), it's usually adult men who get in trouble, in part because they heroically go in the water to save others who ignored the flag system or because they wrongly think they're strong enough to avoid getting pulled by the rip tides. I spoke with guests today and they said they went to the beach, stayed out of the water, but there were plenty of people in the ocean despite the double red flags.

It's not good that people were in the water today, but I am so happy you are taking a proactive approach for the safety of your guests. Thank you for your posts, your information is important.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
[...}

On a positive note, let's give the Walton TDC kudos and gratitude for flying double-red flags the past several days. Bay and Okaloosa chose to fly single red flags part of those days. We took a quick survey in Fired Up today and 100% of the parents felt our all of beach counties should not hesitate to fly double-red more often to help keep visitors safe.

I thought all the nearby counties would use the same surf zone forecasts from the NWS for setting the flags, but maybe not.

I definitely give Walton County points for making it easy to find the current flag status online. Try googling for south walton current flag warnings vs. panama city beach. Multiple links to Walton County's comes up. I'm still trying to find current conditions for PCB.

On the double red, I know it saves lives, but from a personal freedom standpoint I'm uncomfortable with the idea of anyone telling me the ocean is closed. I just find that a really strange concept.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I thought all the nearby counties would use the same surf zone forecasts from the NWS for setting the flags, but maybe not.

I definitely give Walton County points for making it easy to find the current flag status online. Try googling for south walton current flag warnings vs. panama city beach. Multiple links to Walton County's comes up. I'm still trying to find current conditions for PCB.

On the double red, I know it saves lives, but from a personal freedom standpoint I'm uncomfortable with the idea of anyone telling me the ocean is closed. I just find that a really strange concept.

It seems to me that historically Bay is way more liberal with their flag colors. Many times I see Bay flying green when Walton has yellow up. I think it is subjective as to what color is flying.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Green flags are rarely flown here. First off is the idea that you should always use caution - so stick with yellow. The other issue is that if you raise green flags all morning, by the time you finish, the onshore wind has picked up and you have to start raising yellow flags, then by the time you finish raising all the yellow flags the wind has picked up and . . . you see the problem.

Not to mention the squalls we get that pop up in 30 minutes and create red flag conditions.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
It seems to me that historically Bay is way more liberal with their flag colors. Many times I see Bay flying green when Walton has yellow up. I think it is subjective as to what color is flying.

I live near the Okaloosa/Walton County line Okaloosa is much more liberal as well. Many times I will see green flags in Okaloosa and yellow in Walton. The fire department is the ones that come out to change the flags every day - but on Saturday I saw the Walton Co Sheriff changing the flags to double red aroun 4:30 pm. It seems Walton Co tries to err on the side of safety.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Most open water swimmers drown because by the time they realize they're in trouble, it's too late to do anything about it, and they haven't brought anything that floats with them. I think something like the following is a great idea:

http://myswimit.com/about-swim-it/

I've been waiting for someone to invent something like this for years.

The swimit is a cool idea! Cost prohibitive...$119.99. Hopefully there will be an alternative, less expensive model to hit the market...soon!