• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Marla Burns

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2007
30A.jpg

From the article in the
Walton Sun:

"The State of Florida will designate the heart of County Road 30-A as “Charles Modica, Sr. Hospitality Way” during a Seaside ceremony June 21. The honorary naming memorializes longtime Seaside merchant Charles Modica, Sr., who died in 2010.

Senator Don Gaetz and Representative Matt Gaetz, who shepherded the designation through the Florida Legislature, will be joined by members of the Modica family at the event which will begin at 11:00 a.m. in the grassy area immediately to the south of the downtown Seaside block which includes the Modica Market.

Senator Gaetz, who served as Seaside’s first Town Chairman, describes Modica as “the unofficial mayor and goodwill ambassador of Seaside.” He said that the development of 30-A as a center for family-owned small businesses was largely inspired by the Modica family, who founded the market that bears their name in 1988.

“Mr. Modica’s life personified warmth and hospitality,” said Representative Gaetz. “The Modicas honor us by allowing his name to be associated with one of America’s most wonderful family destinations.”

The road designation will encompass that portion of County Road 30-A which lies between CR 283 and CR 395.

The brief ceremony will feature the presentation of colors by the Walton High School Air Force ROTC Honor Guard as well as participation by the Walton County Chamber of Commerce.

For further information please contact Michael Byrne by phone at 850-897-5747 or by email at byrne.michael.s04@flsenate.gov"

Modica, Charles.jpg

Get your local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

Last edited:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Another View

Hmmm. I didn't know Mr. Modica but from what I hear he was a wonderful person. That said and I mean no disrespect-

I can't say I support this.

Lots of folks worked tirelessly to have 30A designated a scenic highway. I personally think that it should be off limits to trumping that and designating a name for it after even the most wonderful of individuals.

My belief is if Don Gaetz and the town of Seaside wanted to honor a pillar of their business community they should have changed the name of one of Seaside's streets or landmarks or erect a memorial there rather than force this name change on its neighbors?

Just my opinion.

:dunno:

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Geo - Obviously you never knew Mr. Modica. I've visited Seaside since it's inception and Mr. Modica brought a smile to my face every time I walked into Modica Market. I would go in just to see him without even needing to make a purchase. Modica Market is what grounded Seaside and made it feel as if you had gone back in time. I am thrilled that I will be vacationing in Grayton that week and will be at the ceremony with bells on. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Don't mean to brawl but-
shame on me?

Like I said- everyone says he was wonderful. But I don't think we should change the name of Scenic Highway 30A anymore than I believe Seaside should change their town's name to honor exceptional people. There is no shame in my position.

Agree to disagree.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I agree with Geo.

I think Mr. Modica was wonderful and deserves recognition and a memorial, just think there are better ways to honor him.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I will be much happier traveling along Scenic Hwy 30A (even in traffic) just knowing it was named for such a wonderful, warm, hard working person who was part of our community for so long. So glad it is named for him. I think its a wonderful gift to us all.