• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DCollins

Beach Lover
Dec 1, 2010
Georgia
I tried to find this post everywhere and couldn't find it. So I made a new one. What is everyone's vote for best burger in SOWAL?

I would have to cast votes for Red Bar and Shuckums (even though I know they are in Bay County!!)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The best burger I've had in a while is at Pickles in Seaside! But, I love several other burgers around town such as Stinky's and Good Apples!'

BTW, a good burger requires a side of excellent fries and that isn't always what you get. See above for some places that offer excellent combos. There are some great burgers in town that I just don't go for because of the crappy/coated fries served with it.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If you're going to cross county lines, the outpost of Tucker Duke's at the bowling alley in Destin might be worth a try. Love their other location in Valparaiso.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
We tried the one at Good Apples but was not tops on my list. I think the pattie was pre-cooked and if not it cooked really fast and the bun was too healthy for a burger. Probably really good for the healthy type people. We haven't tried Pickle's because I am not a fan of grass fed beef, it is too strong for my taste. I like Angus ground chuch (80/20). The closest to what I really like is at 98 BBQ. The burger is pretty good, not fancy, a regular bun!, and great hand cut fries with NO coating or seasoning. Village Market would be right up there because of their burger but their fries drag it down. I would rather frozen crinkle cut than those coated things. Smiling Fish serves up a pretty good burger, but here comes those coated fries. I will try and find the burger post so they can be merged.

Attachments

• 2011-12-11 13.55.07.jpg
    2011-12-11 13.55.07.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We tried the one at Good Apples but was not tops on my list. I think the pattie was pre-cooked and if not it cooked really fast and the bun was too healthy for a burger. Probably really good for the healthy type people. We haven't tried Pickle's because I am not a fan of grass fed beef, it is too strong for my taste. I like Angus ground chuch (80/20). The closest to what I really like is at 98 BBQ. The burger is pretty good, not fancy, a regular bun!, and great hand cut fries with NO coating or seasoning. Village Market would be right up there because of their burger but their friesdrag it down. I would rather frozen crinkle cut than those coated thing. Smiling Fish serves up a pretty good burger, but here comes those coated fries. I will try and find the burger post so they can be merged.

funny how we expect different thing in a burger. Apples had a terrific burger when I had it. I thought it was angus, but can't remember. and their crinkle cuts are terrific but I could use a few extra on the plate.
98 BBQ has too much seasoning for my taste, but definitely love the fries along with a great BBQ sandwich.
Love Smiling Fish burger and/or grouper sandwich (but the fries - no).
LOVE Village Market grouper sandwich more than anything!

You should try Pickles (when they are not too busy). Outstanding burger and the fries are equally wonderful!

Local Catch has a very good burger but I can't do the fries. Good side selections though.

I really like Red Bar burger and the fries are iffy. Great onion rings though!

I had a great burger at Great Southern. They don't serve fries, I don't think. But they have roasted potatoes and other delicious sides (not the same as a good fry, I agree).

I really want to try Johnny McTighes burger - saw one the other day when I was there eating fish and chips (with malt vinegar). they have terrific hand cut fries.

I will miss the burger & fries at First Note Cafe since they have closed.

Last edited:

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
funny how we expect different thing in a burger. Apples had a terrific burger when I had it. I thought it was angus, but can't remember. and their crinkle cuts are terrific but I could use a few extra on the plate.
98 BBQ has too much seasoning for my taste, but definitely love the fries along with a great BBQ sandwich.
Love Smiling Fish burger and/or grouper sandwich (but the fries - no).
LOVE Village Market grouper sandwich more than anything!

You should try Pickles (when they are not too busy). Outstanding burger and the fries are equally wonderful!

Local Catch has a very good burger but I can't do the fries. They have other excellent sides.

I really like Red Bar burger and the fries are iffy. But still love my Red Bar. They do have terrific Onion Rings!

I had a great burger at Great Southern. They don't serve fries, I don't think. But they have roasted potatoes and other delicious sides (not the same as a good fry, I agree).

I really want to try Johnny McTighes burger - saw one the other day when I was there eating fish and chips (with malt vinegar). they have terrific hand cut fries.

I will miss the burger & fries at First Note Cafe since they have closed.

It is funny! LOL. I ask 98 BBQ for salt only and they do it. I don't like seasoning on my fries either. I also hear that Fens has a great burger, made of sirloin and two 4 oz patties, so I can take one off.

Last edited by a moderator: