• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
http://www.facebook.com/jasonaldean

Jason Aldean is not happy about the ticket he got for swimming during double reds. "I'm pretty sure I won't drown in knee deep water."
And that right there is the problem. People simply do not understand rip currents, or the power of knee deep water. These are the same folks who drive into flooded intersections and then can't comprehend how the water managed to sweep them away.
The day before the drowning flags were single red. I was talking to some visitors on the beach, nice, intelligent people. And they asked me, how seriously do I take the flag?

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I don't like it that anyone got a ticket, but there is an obvious reason for it. When double red flags are flyimg in Bay County, "knee deep is too deep," is the motto for Channel 7 new.

Before entering the water, check the flag, then ask yourself, "can someone die trying to save me?" If the flag is red and especially double red, the answer is YES.

If you do not have a flag nearby...get on the computer and check flag conditions at www.swfd.org, or many other websites, turn on the TV, or ask your neighbors. Better yet, make a phone call to SWFD @ 850-267-1298. Even better than all of that, use your common sense. If the Gulf looks angry, it wants to eat you. Back away. Instead, enjoy the view.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I like that people got tickets. Seems to be the only thing that gets some folks attention.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Some links about beach safety:

For current conditions and flag updates text “FLAG” to 67463 to receive a link or visit SWFD.org. Text messaging rates may apply.

I never knew about this -- it's a great idea! I just signed up to get alerts for our upcoming trip! This should be a sticky on Sowal. Get the word out!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Saturday I got a text in the late afternoon (4:48pm) that the single red flag was being replaced by double reds. We were near Bramble and the flag never changed for the next hour or so we were there, I think we left about 6:00 and no flag change. This seemed odd. If SWFD texts double red, it seems we need to figure out how to get them up immediatly.

Florida Fever

Beach Comber
Jun 7, 2012
I thought I would add that I got the late Saturday afternoon text as well stating the flags were double red and said the beaches were closed. I had only signed up for the texts while we were there in late May. Havent received a text since we left so I assumed the water conditions were bad enough they were texting EVERYONE...

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Noticed today that the signs explaining the flag system at the entrance to public accesses on 30a east of Camp Creek Lake are gone. Only checked two accesses but have they removed these signs for some reason?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I talked to our Beach Safety Director Gary Wise again yesterday and he is so passionate about beach safety. He's also extremely concerned about visitors getting in the water when it's unsafe and they should know better. He said there have been over 30 water rescues this month and multiple drownings. All are preventable with education about flag system and the dangers of rip currents.

He lost 4 lifeguards recently who left for other jobs offering more money. The Junior Lifeguard program started yesterday - it's a great program! He's thinking of starting an adult version so we can all learn about safety and help educate visitors.

Last edited: