• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
I am looking for 'local' experts who are also engaging speakers.

These people could have a prepared presentation that they regularly give; or be experts who give presentations on different topics as part of their job or hobby.

Here are the areas I am particularly seeking, but I am interested in ALL ideas and suggestions:

• biologist or other scientific expert who can talk about effects of recent hurricane seasons on various eco systems in area
  • historian who can talk about development of SoWal area
  • development expert or gov official who can talk about balancing the demand for real estate with the fragility of the ecology
  • psychologist or other behavioral expert who can talk about changes in people in the aftermath of area storms/hurricanes

Also, have you heard any of the folks who give the ranger/forester talks in the area State Parks? Anybody you've heard who is really engaging?

I am looking for a 90-minute commitment--presentation and Q&A session or discussion. Informal setting, group size is 15-18 people. About 8 times a year.

Many thanks for your help!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I assume you mean 8 different people, not 1 person 8 times? If you can tell us who it is for that might help - or you can PM me if you don't want to post it.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
Sorry for being confusing.
I'm looking for 2-3 experts, each with their own topic. Each speaker would present about 8 times a year, giving the same presentation each time.

The audience is 15-18 participants who are managers at large companies and large public institutions from all over the country. They will be attending seminars in the 30-A area, which are sponsored by a management consulting firm.

Some of the folks on this board may be excellent speaker candidates--please don't hesitate to suggest yourself!

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
You may want to try
Gulf Coast Etiquette; Sherri Schaler 850-960-4629
She gives presentations to local Chambers and businesses. I have not attented but have heard from friends that they're great.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We have quite a few "historians" in Seagrove that would be wonderful speakers..Jim Foley, Gene Wesley, Mr. Joe Taylor, etc....what do you think Kurt.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Chick Huettel, proprietor of Bayou Art & Antiques, will present local history. He may also have some other contacts, 850-267-1404.

Phillip Ellis of the Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance is the Coastal Dune Lakes Coordinator. http://www.basinalliance.org/bios.htm He is always presenting lectures on the ecosystem.

Brad Pickel is the Director of Beach Management at the TDC and he also is constantly presenting - www.beachesofsouthwalton.com, he will also put you in touch with one of his coworkers that will give you some contacts.

Also contact the chamber: www.waltoncountychamber.com, and the Chautauqua Center: http://www.florida-chautauqua-center.org

You might also try the SWCC for contacts - http://southwaltoncc.org and Beach To Bay - http://beachtobay.org.

Last edited:

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Brenda Rees is doing a lot of work on compiling and documenting Walton County history. Let me know if you want to get in touch with her.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Chick Huettel would be my pick for a historian. I know of others that may be more familiar with the eastern end of the county, but, bless their hearts, they wouldn't fit the "engaging" requirement. :cool:

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
Thanks ShadowsNole. For these seminars, being 'engaging' is just as important as being knowledgeable.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
"Engaging" is important. A couple of months ago, while adapting to some new medication, I fell asleep during a presentation at a meeting of a group that I'm the director of. :blush: