• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
WALTON COUNTY WEEKLY BEACH SAMPLING RESULTS
Walton County Saltwater Beach Monitoring Results

Walton County - The Walton County Health Department conducts regularly scheduled saltwater beach water quality monitoring at seven sites through the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program. The water samples are being analyzed for enteric bacteria (enterococci) that normally inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals, which may cause human disease, infections, or rashes. The presence of enteric bacteria is an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage. The purpose of the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program is to determine whether Florida has significant coastal beach water quality problems and whether future beach monitoring efforts are necessary.

Site
Name
Enterococci
Water Quality
SP-1
Miramar Beach
Good
SP-3
Dune Allen Beach
Moderate
SP-4
Blue Mountain Beach
Moderate
SP-5
Grayton Beach
Moderate
SP-7
Holly Street Beach
Poor
SP-8
Eastern Lake Beach
Poor
SP-9
Inlet Beach Access
Moderate

Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:
Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine
Moderate = 36 - 104 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water
Poor = greater than 105 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water

Health Advisories have been issued for the Holly Street Beach Access and the Eastern Lake Beach Access based on the enterococci standard recommended by the EPA. This should be considered a potential health risk to the bathing public.

The Health Advisories for Miramar Beach Access, Blue Mountain Beach Access, Grayton Beach Access, and Inlet Beach Access have been lifted.

If you should have any questions, please contact the Walton County Health Department of (850) 892-8021, or visit the Department of Health’s internet Beach Water Quality website (www.doh.state.fl.us, click on “Floridians and Visitors” – under “food, Water, Air, Land,” choose “Beach Water Quality.”

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I'd just like to mention that the people from the DOH that are doing the testing don't know why the beach test results came back the way they did. A State health representative floated the idea that it could be related to increased seaweed on the beach which tends to concentrate animal waste (from birds, mainly), but also said that was just a guess. They didn't think there were any sewage overflow or septic issues.

I'm all for getting septic systems away from beaches and lakes, especially the ones susceptible to storm surge and such. But I don't think you can positively link those systems to the recent water quality tests up and down the panhandle.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm all for getting septic systems away from beaches and lakes, especially the ones susceptible to storm surge and such. But I don't think you can positively link those systems to the recent water quality tests up and down the panhandle.

Not positively, I agree. But think about what happens in a flood of the kind that the Pensacola area recently had, and now over around Panacea and Sopchoppy, etc. Every single septic system drain field for miles around was inundated, and I think that kind of a flood may also compromise some sewer lift stations. Also pasture and farmland, lots of that. Multiple sources for contaminated flood waters that flow down every little creek to the Gulf.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Not positively, I agree. But think about what happens in a flood of the kind that the Pensacola area recently had, and now over around Panacea and Sopchoppy, etc. Every single septic system drain field for miles around was inundated, and I think that kind of a flood may also compromise some sewer lift stations. Also pasture and farmland, lots of that. Multiple sources for contaminated flood waters that flow down every little creek to the Gulf.

Appalachicola oysters anyone?

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It's past time to have these removed! It's South Walton's dirty little secret. There are septic tanks and drain fields that drain right into the coastal dune lakes and onto the beaches.

There are drain fields right under the sand on the beaches in many places.

Don't believe it? Look at these photos of Little Alligator Lake next to Gulf Trace in Grayton Beach in 2005 - http://www.sowal.com/photo-archive/photos-080305.html

050803-littleredfish-061.jpg

That is styrofoam from drainfields washed out in Gulf Trace. The homeowners there are too cheap to hook up to sewer even though Regional Utilities gave them a deal.
They should be FORCED to hook up and remove the drain fields!

Any lake you see with a house on it probably has drain fields - Grayton Beach has a lot of them - you know the lake outlet where kids like to play? Often has unsafe bacteria levels.

They put styrofoam in drain fields?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Holley Street and Eastern Lake Beach accesses were both re-sampled on the 27th and the results are now "Good". The Health Advisories for Holly Street Beach Access and the Eastern Lake Beach Access have been lifted.

So we're back to normal.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
just got curious about this because i know there was some flooding recently along 30A, so i wondered about the water quality and if it would be poor again, so that we could at least maybe determine that flooding is a possible reason for the high levels of fecal matter in the gulf. however, i went to the DOH florida and it looks like the 30A area hasn't been tested since october. is that just a coincidence? have they decided to stop testing as a way to bury their heads in the sand? i'm just wondering what you locals think. has anyone heard anymore about investigating this matter further?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is past due for septic tanks near wetlands, lakes, streams, creeks, Bay and the Gulf in SoWal to be removed! Seems like a good use of BP funds.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Bumping this thread. High bacteria levels at Grayton this
weekend. Supposed to avoid swimming, but plenty of folks
(kids) were out swimming.

Some involvement by the county for identifying the extent of
the problem and a long-term plan to fix it would be beneficial
for all of us.