• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
FCAT is a dam* test that Florida public school kids have to take- in fact, most states have this type of test system. Anderson didn't invent it, but like it or not, she and any superintendent does have to make sure her county is prepared for the test. I agree that our top 25% needs to be challenged- and maybe some more parents can step up with suggestions and support. It is the same old story- lots of griping, not a lot of helping.

I agree with your statements Jenny. And I was not being critical of Mrs. Anderson. My comments were directed at the statement that I thought said we were 5th in the State academically. I just wanted to clarify exactly what that ranking was.

If we are going to continue on school performance I think we need to start another thread. I would love to discuss solutions that people think may work, not really a whole lot accomplished in dwelling on the past, we need to look to the opportunities of the future.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree with your statements Jenny. And I was not being critical of Mrs. Anderson. My comments were directed at the statement that I thought said we were 5th in the State academically. I just wanted to clarify exactly what that ranking was.

If we are going to continue on school performance I think we need to start another thread. I would love to discuss solutions that people think may work, not really a whole lot accomplished in dwelling on the past, we need to look to the opportunities of the future.

The FCAT comments always make me squirm and gnash my teeth because sometimes people act like it is something the local school systems inflict on the kids and that superintendents, principals, and teachers can actually control. We have FCAT. It is not going away. We all hate it - administrators, teachers, and parents- but I do believe there has to be some measure of academic performance, just like employers measure job performance when our kids grow up. It's not perfect, improvements can be made- we know that.

I think there has been great strides made in bringing up the "bottom" 25%, and now we do have to work on the "top" 25%. But let's hold this FCAT convo until after the election. Do I get my own special chair at school board meetings?:D

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The FCAT comments always make me squirm and gnash my teeth because sometimes people act like it is something the local school systems inflict on the kids and that superintendents, principals, and teachers can actually control. We have FCAT. It is not going away. We all hate it - administrators, teachers, and parents- but I do believe there has to be some measure of academic performance, just like employers measure job performance when our kids grow up. It's not perfect, improvements can be made- we know that.

I think there has been great strides made in bringing up the "bottom" 25%, and now we do have to work on the "top" 25%. But let's hold this FCAT convo until after the election. Do I get my own special chair at school board meetings?:D

Well I can say that if elected, I will work hard to cut down on your driving time for at least half of the meetings. Of course it will kick mine up, but what the heck. Born to serve.

ElitoDJ

Beach Comber
May 28, 2008
What about the FHS principal? What an incredible job he did, only to get demoted and his salary cut. Same thing happened to Paxton's principal last year. See Walton Sun July 26.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
COPIED FROM ANOTHER POST ON ANOTHER THREAD...

School Principals serve at the pleasure of the Superintendent (as do all administators). The Board can only reject a Superintendent's recommendation for a principal's job under extemely limited circumstances. School Boards have tried to widen their authority in this area, see Bay County and Bay High School, but the courts have continually limited the authority of the board. Once recommended the Board can only reject a nominee if the nominee does not have the necessary qualifications for the position, the position is not funded, or the position was not created by the Board. And, the Board can reject a nominee if the person has committed one of the seven deadly sins involving moral turpitude. A real quirk in the system is that the administrators only serve under a one year contract. If the Superintendent chooses to not recommend an administrator back at the end of that year, then they have no job. If they go back to the classroom, they lose any tenure they might have. This lack of job security is part of the reason why so few people apply for these jobs. I have floated the idea of a two or three year contract, but, have not had any positive response. M

ElitoDJ

Beach Comber
May 28, 2008
Thanks for the info. I also heard a reading coach was demoted even though her schools received As. I guess I am having a hard time understanding what others are saying about employees not having to fear for their jobs.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aren't the teachers unionized? :dunno:

If so, I find it hard to believe people who are supposedly doing a great job are being demoted and getting pay cuts without any repurcussions.

magnolia00

Beach Crab
Jul 31, 2008
I understand that there are two unions in the Walton County school district. One is instructional and one is non-instructional. If employees were treated unfairly the unions would certainly be protecting them. Those who are in fear must doing something wrong if the unions are not out fighting the battle for them.