• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
I miss this forum. Any interesting sowal nature stories? Land sea or otherwise? Thanks!!

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Walton County is up to 58 turtle nests so far this season - It has been a banner year so far for the turtles.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
A box turtle just laid her eggs next to our a/c unit. I am going to get some little sticks and yellow ribbon and mark the nest!

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Fantastic! Thanks for the news, and to you too jdarg. Love all turtles. RIP lonesome george.

One day I was walking on the beach in Seagrove and saw a bunch of people heading towards a taped-off turtle nest. I started running to see what was going on. As they dug in the sand, they saw eggs that had hatched and eggs that hadn't hatched. So everyone was happy about the turtles that made it and sad about the rest. That was such an interesting experience for me!

Another unforgettable experience was when I was walking down the beach and a sand shark was right at the edge of the surf, swimming parallel to the beach because a sand bar was blocking it from going into deeper water. I started jogging beside it and warning the people in the water that there was a shark. Others joined me as I followed the shark. Finally it found an exit. That was amazing.

I am still trying to spot the eagle on Western Lake. That will be an exciting day!

EDIT: Hey, jdarg, one day my son-in-law and I were running near our home in GA. There was a big turtle in the road. The speed limit is 40, but most people drive 55 there. I was afraid it was going to get smashed by a car. SIL rescued it. It peed on him. LOL!

Last edited:

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
My husband I saw a fox on the beach in Seagrove! It was just west of the Pelayo beach access near Jasmine Dunes subdivision. He appeared to be hunting for crabs. The funny thing was that it was the week of Atlanta spring break and there were people everywhere, but he didn't seem too concerned.

Last week we saw an osprey dive into the water right in front of us and come up with a fish.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Thank you. Very cool all these. Headed there in september; long wait but will be so worth it! One of the many things i love about sowal, and i'm sure i'm not alone, is the beauty that has been preserved there allowing these wonderful observations. Keep em coming!