• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What are the rules? I've seen several teenagers (13-14) driving them and not following road rules. They have been driving on sidewalks, not stopping at stop signs. . .If they are allowed on the streets shouldn't you have to have a license and follow regular road rules? If the problem is ignorance of the laws, are the rental companies held responsible?

electriccartcompany

Beach Comber
Apr 28, 2009
low speed vehicles

If you own a low speed vehicle you have to be 16 years old with a valid drivers license and if you rent from us then you have to be 21 to rent and 18 to drive. Electric cart company provides an individual insurance policy with each rental it sends out. We are not some fly by night company. As for underage drivers, please notify us if you see underage drivers with our carts and we will promptly resolve the issue. Hope that helps.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
If you own a low speed vehicle you have to be 16 years old with a valid drivers license and if you rent from us then you have to be 21 to rent and 18 to drive. Electric cart company provides an individual insurance policy with each rental it sends out. We are not some fly by night company. As for underage drivers, please notify us if you see underage drivers with our carts and we will promptly resolve the issue. Hope that helps.

Thank you Jon for the response. How do we tell which are your carts from the others? Is there a sign on them?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Just out of curiosity, I googled for 'vrbo south walton "golf cart"' and it came back with over 110,000 hits. Wow. Seems like an awful lot of off-the-beach rentals are supplying these things. Some of them are in enclosed communities like Watersound. But a lot of them are not. Even if the golf cart company customers obey the company rules, I wouldn't be surprised when guests in rental houses bend those rules. What's it gonna hurt if my 12 year old runs around with the golf cart? It's fun. The owner's not around to complain.

I wonder. If I have a rental property advertising it comes with a free golf cart, what's my liability if my guests then go out on the road with it illegally after I've made them sign a contract saying they won't (wink, wink) and then they get into a major accident? Any lawyers out there.

Last edited:

electriccartcompany

Beach Comber
Apr 28, 2009
low speed vehicles

There will be an " electric cart company" logo on each of our vehicles.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the response -- I don't think the ones I saw were yours. But I will take note of it next time. I'm still not a fan of these, but I'm glad that - at least one company - is willing to be responsible about it! So, people, if you must have one, please get it from this guy!

If a golf cart isn't street legal, can it go on the bike path? It would sure be nice to be able to bypass all of the traffic in Seaside and Seagrove. During the crowded summer season, we could actually patronize the businesses in Seaside and Grayton. Parking a car in Seaside is impossible in the summer, so until the summer rental season is over, we have stopped and will stop going there. Speaking of which, what are the rules for parking golf carts in Seaside? Do the have to be parked in a space that would normally just be used by a regular vehicle?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
If a golf cart isn't street legal, can it go on the bike path?

No. Motorized vehicles are not allowed on the bike path.
It's posted in the rules. However, there is not enough signage.