• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yesterday, I saw one of these "low speed vehicles" (golf cart) traveling very slowly on 30-A near Eastern Lake. A big old SUV tried to pass it, on a curve. The big old SUV couldn't accelerate very fast, and, to make a long story short, came within about three feet of hitting another big SUV head-on. It was as close a call as I have ever seen, and it was caused by a golf cart, that should never have been allowed on the highway.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have seen quite a few low speed vehicles around town lately - these are new to me - not the same as golf carts. So far, I haven't encountered any problem with the drivers or speed, etc. I have experienced plenty of problems with CARS going 10 mph when I'm trying to pick up my kid and there is no way to escape the lunacy! It is summer and I believe in slowing down and being safe and patient. But come on!!!

Sorry for the whiney whine. I usually try to stay off the lovely Scenic Hwy 30A during peak times but lately haven't been able to avoid it.

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It was as close a call as I have ever seen, and it was caused by a golf cart, that should never have been allowed on the highway.

I have to disagree. I am no big fan of the carts, but if an accident had happened it would have been caused by passing on a curve.

If you pass on a curve and cause a wreck, it doesn't matte what you are passing, you have no excuse in my book.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes, you are right, but this was probably a case where stupidity breeds stupidity.

We don't pass on 30A. But there's no point in passing because you'll still be in virtually standstill traffic ahead this time of year. That being said, there were several instances in which we were behind low-speed vehicles and the drivers courteously pulled off the road when they realized that they were the cause of traffic backups. Thanks, y'all.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
last year we noticed some golf carts, this year they were everywhere; I know that the speed limit isn't that high on 30A but it's more than 20mph and there are some stretches were it'd be nice to actually go the speed limit where there aren't crosswalks and such but the low speed vehicles seem to top out at 20mph; I'm not a fan!

zrettig82

Beach Crab
Feb 7, 2011
low speed vehicles

If you are in a golf cart stay on the golf course, or get out of the Frickin road. So annoying!

Unfortently, i have seen more near misses with golf carts than anything else in the area. I personally dont like the idea of having golf carts and mopeds being rented to tourists, who are just going to drive them without any regard for any of the traffic laws. they are unsafe even when they are being driven properly. I dont drive a large suv (although ive owned a couple), and i can only imagine how little will be left in the event of an accident. As for the mopeds, people drive these things like they stole them, and on top of that, they are not wearing helmets. I have owned a motorcycle (and survived my wreck, thanks to my helmet and my protective gear i was wearing). I think the age to rent these should be higher, like at least 25, like it is for car rental agencys.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
What's the point in having rules if they aren't enforced? Where are the cops when you need them? Not that I think they would do anything that might upset a tourist - God forbid!!!!!!! Anyone here have access to statistics as to how many tickets are written for violations on 30a? It seems from the posts here that there are many violations occurring that the locals see daily (I drive 30a every day) but somehow I see little enforcement. You would think statistically a certain percentage would get caught.