• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TakeNote

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2012
Hey SoWal,

I hope this sub-forum is appropriate for this topic:

As I continue preparing to open a local winery in SoWal, Ive done a good deal of research into what the most popular wines in the US are. But its well know we citizens of the Emerald Coast are a unique bunch...So Im hoping you can help me figure out just exactly what wines are most commonly enjoyed here in the area.

Do you prefer red or white? Is there a favorite you always get? What wine do restaurants not have that you wish they did? Do you prefer a cheap bottle of house Merlot, or some expensive oak-aged Chianti? Do you look at the wine list for something middle of the road, or just order what its currently popular? Im very interested in hearing what you like to drink while at a restaurant or wine bar and what you prefer when youre at home. Your input is greatly appreciated here, and will help shape our final decision on what gets made...

Thanks in advance! =)
Josh

Last edited:

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Interesting. You indicate you might open a local winery, but would you be using a local (or regional) vineyard?

As for me, give me a good Petrus, Opus (if you can find it), or BV Georges De Latour red, or a Grgrich Chardonnay. Of course, back in the college days, sangria, Ripple and Mad Dog all seemed pretty good......(!)

TakeNote

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks for the input kwalsh: Petrus is mostly Cab and Merlot, and Opus is a winery which I think mostly does Cab-style wines...I think? So is that to say that you prefer to always drink wines from these estates, or that you like the Merlot and Cab style wines that they make? We wont be buying wine from other wineries, well be making it from scratch. So if you enjoy the Opus styles of wine, we can seek to emulate that, given that there is enough support for it.

Well use a number of different vineyards. Most of the grapes will come in from California appellations as they arent available around here. Ill be making a Muscadine from local grapes, and a mead from local honey, but am also making final decisions on what varietals to add to the lineup from vineyards from California to as far as South America. I dont want to say what wines I will probably be making for sure, because Im hoping to hear some unbiased thoughts about what people like to drink...

Last edited:

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
I tend to do Reds more in the cooler months and Whites in the warmer months. I usually look for a really good, inexpensive wine. However, I do also like to splurge on occasion! For reds I prefer a Cab, Pinot Noir or Zinfandel. For whites I prefer a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc or a good, cold bottle of Conundrum! I do like to taste and explore different wines....I look forward to seeing what you put forth!!!!

Shells

Beach Comber
Mar 16, 2010
Pinot noir! According to Dr. Oz, it has the highest content of resveratrol (sorry if the word is misspelled) which is a huge health benefit.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Yep, beachcrab. I gravitate to the Cab, Merlot, and Chardonnay varietals, and I also mentioned my favorite producers.......but I'm always interest in others, and--in particular--free tasting....! If you need help in that last aspect (free tasting....), please let me know....!

TakeNote

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies! Anyone else?

Ive been attending the Firday afternoon wine tastings at Wine World next to Publix in Grand Boulevard, planning to be there every week. If anyone stops by, maybe we can taste some wine together! Ill be there, notebook in hand, taking notes on each wine...