• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
I totally agree. She is in touch with south Walton and how to represent us and what we need.

Ditto. She was not beholden to any special interest. She is not a developer, real estate agent or builder. Even though I am not a Republican, I have no problem whatsoever voting for her. She is the best candidate. As soon as election fever started, I noticed that Cecelia Jones became much more vocal and visible. What a game she plays!

DuneDweller

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2006
Don't pass up a chance to meet and chat with Rick Roberts, he makes good sense about govt. And could be a good choice

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
I guess I'm the only person that remembers Cindy Meadows wanting 150 acres of Point Washington State Forest for a public swimming pool. One reason I recall this is that after a meeting she pointed her car keys in my face and said "Not to call anyone in Tallahassee until I'd cleared it through her" She obviously forgot about the first Amendment to the United States Constitution.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...VaY8AAAAIBAJ&sjid=qPcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=683,1796602

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I guess I'm the only person that remembers Cindy Meadows wanting 150 acres of Point Washington State Forest for a public swimming pool. One reason I recall this is that after a meeting she pointed her car keys in my face and said "Not to call anyone in Tallahassee until I'd cleared it through her" She obviously forgot about the first Amendment to the United States Constitution.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...VaY8AAAAIBAJ&sjid=qPcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=683,1796602

Must be. It certainly is not on my radar as a reason not to vote for her.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think this community has become way more vocal in the last 4 or 5 years, and hopefully the local 2012 elected officials won't be so quick to make decisions or even statements without a little research and feedback from the community. There is a lot of negative in the community right now, but the game is changing- and more people in the community, from all segments, are watching.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Anybody else read about Commissioner Jones being sued by the son of her deceased friend? Seemed to be a question regarding how Jones may have handled her friend's finances. Article did not give great details. Can anyone share information?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
https://sites.google.com/site/wzepam1460/news/complaintfiledagainstceciliajones

With a few weeks left before an election, a complaint has been filed against Walton Commissioner Cecilia Jones, but not against her position as a commissioner. The complaint was filed by the son of Jones’ long time friend Laverne Camacho. Michael Renee Camacho claims Jones and her husband received money that his mother intended to be given to him. Lavern Camacho has since passed away.

In November of last year, Michael Camacho says his mother executed a will that established a trust for her son. Attorney Clayton Adkinson was listed as her personal representative and as trustee of the trust. At the same time he says Camacho named her friend, Cecilia Jones as pre-need guardian.

The complaint states Jones knew Michael Camacho was dependent on his mother for mental and physical well being. He says the money was to be used to take care of him after his mother passed.

About a year prior to her death, Lavern Camacho added Cecilia Jones to a pay on demand account without Michael being listed as the beneficiary. This means Camacho had given Jones complete control of the funds with no stipulations preventing her from withdrawing them. He claims a deal was made between his mother and Jones to have the money held by Jones and to be given to Michael. The complaint includes a letter where Michael Camacho and his attorney Clayton Adkinson say they demanded the money be paid to him or the trust managed by Adkinson.

Several people have told WZEP First News Lavern Camacho relayed her wishes that she wanted her lifelong work to go good causes, not for drug abuse.

WZEP First News talked to Cecilia Jones. She said she has know Lavern Camacho for about 30 years and took care of her and her husband before they died. Jones also says Michael Camacho has been in trouble with the law numerous times. A report provided shows Michael Camacho has about 40 legal cases against him since 1994. Jones says she has worked with Michael Camacho, taking him to church and twice to an adult Teen Challenge.

Jones says elections are notorious for last ditch, desperate and dishonest efforts to discredit candidates. She says that if opposition can not win honestly, they will try fabricating the truth even at the expense of filing a frivolous lawsuit. She says the fact that the media received copies of the lawsuit before she did speaks to the motive and the ethics of those behind it. Jones says the timing is not a coincidence and those who have threatened to use this against her politically will be exposed and she trusts justice will prevail.

WZEP has also learned these are not the only funds available for Michael Camacho. Camacho’s estate, managed by Attorney Adkinson, had real property at the time of her death. Documents in the complaint show where Michael Camacho has use of her home and a vehicle as well as an allowance.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://defuniakherald.com/?p=5375

A five-count lawsuit was filed July 10 in Circuit Court for the First Judicial Circuit naming Cecilia A. Jones and her husband Jerry P. Jones as defendants. The lawsuit does not sue Cecilia Jones in her capacity as a Walton County Commissioner, and makes no allegations of official misconduct. The complaint, filed by plaintiff Michael R. Camacho, alleges “conversion, undue influence, unjust enrichment, constructive trust and resulting trust,” and seeks equitable and/or monetary damages.

The lawsuit arises out of the estate of Laverne Camacho, who died in April 2012, and whose will apparently established a testamentary trust. Michael R. Camacho is Laverne’s son. The 58-paragraph complaint centers on “Disputed Sums” of the estate and the defendants’ alleged fiduciary obligations regarding handling of the sums. The plaintiff maintains that the disputed sums are intended for his benefit, and demands that a resulting or constructive trust be imposed that the sums may be used for his “exclusive benefit,” as well as demanding an accounting and any damages incurred.

No connection is made between this dispute and Cecilia Jones’ official acts as a member of the Walton County Board of County Commissioners.

Contacted by the Herald/Breeze about the lawsuit, Cecilia Jones said that she had not yet been served with the complaint, but offered the following written statement as comment:

“Elections are notorious for last ditch, desperate and dishonest efforts to discredit candidates. If opposition cannot win honestly, they will try fabricating the truth even at the expense of filing a frivolous lawsuit. The fact that the media received copies of this lawsuit and I have not even been served speaks to the motive and the ethics of those behind it. The timing is not a coincidence and those who have threatened to use this against me politically will be exposed and I trust that justice will prevail.”

The lawsuit, Case No. 12CA 660, was filed by Steven B. Bauman, of Anchors Smith Grimsley law firm of Fort Walton Beach. Jones said she and her husband are consulting legal counsel to respond to the lawsuit.