• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.wmbb.com/story/19174462/south-walton-ten-year-old-saves-boy-from-drowning

A South Walton boy is being hailed as a hero after saving another little boy from the Gulf, Wednesday.

His father praises a popular South Walton summer camp for teaching him these life saving skills.

10-year-old Trip Martin is a pretty awesome swimmer, and that comes in handy when you're a Junior Lifeguard in the South Walton Fire District Program.

Wednesday, his life saving skills kicked into high gear and, though he's a "junior lifeguard," many are calling him a "full size" hero!

Two days shy of his 11th birthday, Trip was prepared for a day at beach, but a tough rip current would prove problematic for a family swimming in the Gulf.

"I heard this mom and she was swimming out there and she was like, "my sons are in trouble, my sons are in trouble," and I knew that I had a board so I paddled over there," said Trip.

Trip said he used his lifeguard training to get one son on the surf board and the other to a nearby raft. He was met back on shore with tears of gratitude from a terrified mom.

"They just said thank you and just...it was fun," Trip said, sheepishly.

Fun, but fortunate, said dad, Drake Martin. He praised his son's training in the SWFD Junior Lifeguard Program.

"It is the best thing going at the beach," said Martin.

Learning the news his son is called a hero?

"Oh Gosh, it's the neatest thing that you could ever hear. The one thing that you hope beyond hope is that your children will react well in an emergency situation and I'm just as proud as I could be of him," gushed Martin.

He's also proud of Trip's surfing pal and paddle board business owner, Justin Nichols, who also jumped in to help other distressed swimmers, Wednesday. But, Nichols is staying pretty humble.

"Most of the people here you see everyday and it's just what you're supposed to do," said Nichols.

Humbleness must be a common trait among heroes.

News 13 asked Trip if he considered himself a hero.

"Um, I wouldn't really consider it because I've only done it once, so...I don't know," answered Trip.

He's just happy he knew how to save a life when the time was right.

"I never really thought I'd have to do it but it just happened today, so I feel great," said Trip.

News 13 was told trip's fearlessness inspired Justin to enroll his own son in the SWFD Junior Lifeguard Program when he's old enough.

For more information on the Junior Lifeguard Program visit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Walton-Fire-District-Junior-Lifeguard-Program/96730426748

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
The SWFD Junior Lifeguard Program sounds like a wonderful program. Nice job Trip, and nice job for the SWFD. What a dividend it's already paid just here (two lives).

I wonder if the SWFD might consider doing a condensed version of this course over a week period for adults as well as kids. I'd love to learn how to identify rip currents at the beach and how to help in emergencies from the pros, and I'd gladly pay for such a course, but I'm limited by time frame.