• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachberbs

Beach Lover
May 24, 2008
We are locals and go to Seaside often to grab a bite, a drink, shop etc. We headed to Seaside this evening to have dinner. When we saw the $5 parking fee we kept on going and ate elsewhere. We will NOT pay to park in Seaside. Lots of other great places to eat and shop for free. The merchants of Seaside lost our business tonight. We were planning to dine there this weekend too, but are now making other plans. What is the motive? If this move is to alleviate traffic, the traffic tonight was worse than ever. I will bid Seaside goodbye before I will pay to spend my money there.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
As a local and an elitist I'm torn. It's great that I don't have to worry about finding a space to park if I do end up going to Seaside on a busy weekend (when people inevitably visit and want to go to Seaside). I will GLADLY pay $5 rather than drive around for 30 minutes trying to park. I'd rather they charge $20 to thin the herd. On the other hand there's no way I'm wasting time to have someone park and retrieve my vehicle if I just want to take the kids for ice cream at any given time.

Not my call on any of the above, just don't slow down 30a more than it already is through there. If that happens I'm guessing the locals watch the valet stand suffering the same unfortunate fire we see in the offseason with underperforming restaurants.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Here's what I don't get:

Think of all the restaurants that are located in Seaside...Bud and Alleys, Pizza Bar, Tarpon Bar, Taco Bar, Crush, Southern Cafe, Modica, Dawson, Pickels, Shrimp Shack, and then the silver bullets, all these businesses have seating.
Doesn't Walton County enforce the amount of parking spaces for each of these businesses based on seating and square footage?

Is Seaside exempted of this code?

I haven't even mentioned the store fronts and the required parking for them?????

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I have been thinking about this like crazy since I first saw someone post about it on Facebook.

Seaside is wonderful. Many think so. Therefore it is a popular destination which shouldn't come as a big surprise that there will be traffic and lack of parking.

What I can't comprehend is how does valet parking solve either problem? I suspect it actually makes both worse.

I believe the fix is to open all neighborhood streets in Seaside to parking. First come, first served. No overnight parking without a sticker which would be given only to homeowners/renters. Put in a high tech parking meter system in the main circle (so that there wouldn't be a physical meter at each space- looks tacky). This would encourage folks to park on streets along the outskirts. Use 100% of the money collected from the meters to buy land in and around seaside which would be used for PARKING.

two cents, G

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
My two cents. Thank God 30A has developed to the point that, for Betty and me, Seaside is no longer a prime destination. They will no longer receive any of my business and if other locals follow this rationale, the paid parking will not bode well for them in the off season.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My opinion is that in the summer until K-12 starts back to school and during Atlanta spring break, the parking fee is justified. During those times, we stop patronizing Seaside because it is too annoying to fight for parking spots. But imposing a parking fee during other than those times of the year is ridiculous. It hurts the merchants. During the high traffic times, the idea of shuttle buses for employees is a great idea -- my brother works for Delta in ATL does that every day. But when traffic on 30A is so sparse that one could bowl on 30A with no danger, the rules should change.

Good points BR. Like you, I tend to stay away during peak seasons. But if and when I do go to Seaside I usually try to park just north of central square anyway - I wonder if that will still be allowed?

I have heard a little more info since yesterday - apparently it was a test run just for the day and if implemented, paid parking will be effective during the bigger holiday weeks such as Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc. I know parking is a problem and a solution is needed.

I hope Seaside will put out some information so we will know what we're talking about. We just don't know very much at this point.

I wonder how the employees fared with their new parking lot in Grayton?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have been thinking about this like crazy since I first saw someone post about it on Facebook.

Seaside is wonderful. Many think so. Therefore it is a popular destination which shouldn't come as a big surprise that there will be traffic and lack of parking.

What I can't comprehend is how does valet parking solve either problem? I suspect it actually makes both worse.

I believe the fix is to open all neighborhood streets in Seaside to parking. First come, first served. No overnight parking without a sticker which would be given only to homeowners/renters. Put in a high tech parking meter system in the main circle (so that there wouldn't be a physical meter at each space- looks tacky). This would encourage folks to park on streets along the outskirts. Use 100% of the money collected from the meters to buy land in and around seaside which would be used for PARKING.

two cents, G

good ideas G!

I don't mind the meters at Destin Commons one bit - the money goes to local charities. But, still - I am not sure how that fixes the parking problem. The problem is not nearly enough parking available anywhere in Seaside - during peak times of the year. The solution is expanded parking - but where?

Didn't I read on this message board that parking got restricted in Grayton this summer and that people had to park in a lot north of 30A and take a shuttle bus to the businesses there? Maybe that's the solution for Seaside. During the busy times of the year, the parking area where people park for the Seaside Marathon and 5K (by Suntrust) could be used, people parking there could be shuttled to/from Seaside, and a parking fee could be charged for people not willing to take a shuttle.

I'm sure someone will point out holes in this idea. No problem -- I won't be offended.

Last edited: