• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
When we first visited Seaside in the late 80s, the old fashioned village-look was so cool and attractive. Everything seemed consistent architecturally. Then modern-styled concrete high-rises were built. Beachfront has stayed pretty much the same, but that property is so valuable that I am surprised that it hasn't gone in the high-rise direction. Glad it hasn't.

So what's going on there? We love visiting Seaside, but are concerned about its future. Will the old-school architecture on the beachfront remain? Or is it destined (pun but it gags me) to become another concrete collection of high-rises?

Does Seaside need to build multi-level parking garages where the one-level parking areas exist now behind the main loop? At least that might delay ripping out the original architectural characteristics that once defined Seaside.

I have no expertise in the area of community planning, so please don't slam me. But we are building a new non-rental home in the area, and we happen to enjoy the amenities of Seaside, as well as the 30A corridor.

So feel free to educate me.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
See this thread - http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/458-big-changes-at-Seaside

The overall model is a classic city design with a central piazza, a place that is easy to walk and alive with people. However, this is not a perfect world, and towns have a way of changing and evolving in ways we don't expect. SoWal and every space in it serves tourists, so that changes the overall dynamic and the desired, ideal goals may not be achieved.

Seaside reflects Robert and Daryl Davis - interesting, educated, and eclectic. Towns, like people, shouldn't be perfect or predictable in my view. That would be boring. The fact that Seaside stirs controversy and passion from time to time is a good thing.

Our online space here is the same, you may not always like changes but they keep things interesting, no?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were few cars in Seaside, and other town centers?

Or if there was little car traffic? How nice to stroll around without a major highway cutting us off from the beach. Without giant SUVs circling and circling. In a fantasy world we would park and walk, or ride bikes.

But this is America and SoWal is a travel destination.

Some people behind the scenes would like to re-route Scenic 30A around some of the towns, or have a middle beach road with parking and shuttles. But of course we thankfully have our precious public lands which are sacred to many. So nothing may ever change, and our roads and towns clogged more and more.

In an ideal world we would all come together and build a better place with dialog, controversy, compromise, and agreement. Not always realizing ideal solutions, but ultimately making better places to live and work and play for everyone.

Kurt, I see what you are saying. That being said, I'm a person who when I like something the way it is, change is disturbing to me. I know that change can bring improvement, but it can also bring negative effects. For example, when we first went to Destin, it was a little fishing village. Gosh, that place has totally changed. We plan to move to South Walton part-time. Remember when people in South Walton were so interested in maintaining its non-Destin characteristics that there was a movement for no big signs on 30A? Now it's totally cluttered with signs.

BTW I shouldn't have singled out Seaside. However it just seems to me that it has changed the most, and not to the better.

I guess I just need to be proactive as I have been in the past, attend Planning Commission and BCC meetings, and do what I can to support maintaining the character of South Walton. We are not immortal, so at some point I won't care.

I still think that South Walton is paradise ... the beautiful Gulf, the squeaky sand, the fabulous sunsets.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
My wife and I can point to 2005 as the time when Sowal changed for us as permenant residents. It's still wonderful, just different.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I have lived here for decades, and watched it all grow up. I cannot imagine any area of seashore growing with as much grace as our area has. We have fantastic lakes that are protected. We have state forests and state parks in abundance. We have world-class planned communities, and we have locals who love the treasures we share. Number one on my list of the blessings of SoWal is that we have an iron-clad ordinance against high-rises. Number one on my disappointments is the fact that no political foresight was clear enough to develop a "middle beach road". Parking is a problem in Seaside when there is an event, and cars get backed-up at the Seagrove intersection during the peak weekends. Is that the worst it gets?! Wow, we got a great place.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You are right Lake - we have so many reasons to love SoWal. Every time I leave town, it is always a pleasure to come back home. We have a very special community.

There are times when I think South Walton would be better off if would incorporate and oversee its own growth. County government is simpler and cheaper but... I would like to see excellent planning for infrastructure and job creation/business growth.

Coastal dune lakes, state forest preserve, state parks, gators/bears/sharks/sea turtles/wild hogs, some of the worlds most beautiful beaches and the finest people ever who love and appreciate living here.

Oh and at least one Skunkape frequently sited in sowal who migrated here from Nola several years ago.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
My main concern right now?

Beach sand and dunes disappearing. All of the so-called problems right now will mean nothing after our next storm. Many gulf front houses will lay in ruins among the countless tons of wreckage from seawalls and geotubes. I don't think recovery will be possible after that.
This is truly a sky is falling situation. Every ounce of effort and dollar should be focused on beach nourishment. Parking, traffic, high-rises, dune lake protection - etc, none of it matters when our beachfront gets wiped out for good.

Having said that I will return to the mundane:

Signs - sign pollution is like cancer. It just keeps spreading until all of a sudden you can't see the beauty. Yes we have better ordinances against signs than some communities but the sandwich board loophole is ridiculous. Need to outlaw these or they will continue to multiply. Hello government stop posting signs every 100 feet. We don't need to be warned that there is a bump ahead or potential deer crossing. And while I'm at it, who gave utility companies the right to put whatever ugly crap they want to on our roadsides and in our airspace? If you are going to profit from then you should have responsibility to not F up our environment.

Light pollution - apparently nothing to be done about this because of development. All I know is if I can't see a starry sky I will keep retreating to the wilderness until there is none left.