• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
good lord, are you a child?
We'll have to try WB when we get there and will enjoy a new rooftop deck with a view of the Gulf. It's sad though to hear the Seagrove Villas Motel referred to as an "eyesore". While for years I have feared (read "known") as many have, that its razing was inevitable due to market pressures and other issues, but to refer to it in such a blanket derogatory manner seems quite callous to me. Or was this tongue in cheek? The Villas certainly had its share of faults but it also possessed many great attributes and contributed to so many wonderful memories for generations. Dancing on its grave not appropriate, IMHO.:sosad:

Holiday Properties

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2012
Grayton Beach
www.itrip.net
We really can't expect non locals to understand our attachment to our beach and all the great things we grew up with..that neon sign always made me smile. WB is nice and im always happy to see new business but nothing will ever be better than the wheelhouse's fried chicken..if u want all the fluff go stay at Rosemary or Alys..Man leave the grove alone its what makes us special

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
We really can't expect non locals to understand our attachment to our beach and all the great things we grew up with..that neon sign always made me smile. WB is nice and im always happy to see new business but nothing will ever be better than the wheelhouse's fried chicken..if u want all the fluff go stay at Rosemary or Alys..Man leave the grove alone its what makes us special

I always enjoyed eating lunch at the Wheelhouse. Such a diverse and interesting crowd. Locals, construction workers, vacationers, and more. Won't see that at Whiskey Bravo.

I hear ya. We saved all of the natural vegetation at the home we built in Seagrove in 2002. In particular, the live oaks and saw palmettos. I took a class from Randy at the former Gourd Garden. It makes me sad that the newbies don't get the meaning of Seagrove. The cinderblock is so cool. Seagrove Villas were so cool. You can't replace historical architecture.

So sad. Most people will soon not understand the meaning of SeaGROVE as in Seagrove. :sosad:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I always am respectful of others opinion. My parents came down and stayed at the Villas the week before it went down. Their opinion was that it was a dump. I went in their room and agree completely. WB is a cool building just like the V and some of the homes just across the street from the V. This building is not Carngie (SP) Hall or the Waldorff Astoria. Sometimes getting rid of the old and welcoming the new can be a positive thing for the area. I hope that in the future some more of the old cinder block homes in seagrove go away also to newer and more beautiful homes and we can start new and fresh memories.

The Villas provided happy memories for hundreds, if not thousands, over several decades. The 4 new houses there will only be available to their owners and guests. Not a gain, IMHO.

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
You guys need to read the book "the way we were". It will put more of a perspective of things in the area.

The cinder block houses where built by Ed Walline--visit his grave at the SRB cemetery and you will gain a respect for our founding fathers. It may not be fabulous architecture, but those houses were built to withstand hurricanes and they have survived..just like the villas. I think we need to have more respect for the buildings that have lasted, and less respect for those that are beautiful, but still fall down.

This has nothing to do with WB, but the conversation turned.

We all should be spending less time talking about it, and more time DOING something about it.

That being said....is there a historic SRB foundation??

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I hear ya. We saved all of the natural vegetation at the home we built in Seagrove in 2002. In particular, the live oaks and saw palmettos. I took a class from Randy at the former Gourd Garden. It makes me sad that the newbies don't get the meaning of Seagrove. The cinderblock is so cool. Seagrove Villas were so cool. You can't replace historical architecture.

So sad. Most people will soon not understand the meaning of SeaGROVE as in Seagrove. :sosad:

There was a time when there were no palm trees in Seagrove, as nature intended.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Yes, LV2, and there was also a time when there were plenty of scrub oaks, JUST like nature intended. It is because of the lack of respect and understanding of the nature of an area that problems are caused. Skinsharks is correct, those cinderblock houses were built for a reason, by people who looked at the area they were to build in and considered the appropriateness of their plans.

I agree completely with JDarg--those old cinderblocks are SO cool! And some of the comments above make me very, very sad for our community and for the generations to come who won't get to grow up with Seagrove as I did, in the carefree, laidback little beach community it was. Instead, because of people like the previous commenter, they will have gated communities locking them out, and no understanding of the beauty and protection of natural vegetation, and no way to glance out as they ride their bike along 30a to catch a glimpse of our beautiful Gulf because it will be so covered up by "newer, more beautiful" homes that were designed for someplace else. Shame on us for not better protecting all the things that made Seagrove special, because before long there won't be anything left to differentiate us from any other place their tourist dollars will take them.