• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
People are always surprised to find out there are septic tanks and drainfields under the sand in some places.

Note to dead developers:
If you have to put a septic tank on the beach, you're building in the wrong place.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Is it at all possible that water wasn't tested or results posted in the past? When did results start to be noticed?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
One rumor I heard was that more water was allowed to enter the Mississippi and thus the gulf after the oil spill in an attempt to keep oil off the coast. I don't know if that is even possible but if it is, could still be going on. More water from the big river means more pollution.

If that is a whacked scenario then it could simply be more chit flowing downstream from local rivers with all the recent rains.

That is Bdarg's unofficial, professional civil engineer assessment, coupled with the enormous amount of runoff here and west of us, and in the bay out to the Gulf. Sooooo much water running off everywhere, coming out of everywhere, going into the Gulf. Septic tanks aren't helping, but they are not the primary cause. (but they still need to be removed)

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
Grayton Beach Water Quality

While the double red flags have come down, and the yellow flag is flying, the sign is up advising vistitors to stay out of the water at Grayton Beach due to high levels of enteric bacteria.

Also, there is a strong odor of raw sewage at the out flow into the Gulf from of the lake beside Gulf Trace, and the discoloration is moving towards Grayton and on to Seaside.

Is there a connection?

Rebecca Griffith Goard

Beach Comber
Aug 26, 2012
Atlanta
Does anyone know if this is affecting the water quality at Blue Mountain Beach? We will be staying at Adagio in a couple of weeks and with small children, I'm concerned about the water testing. Does anyone know where I can see the water reports for BMB?

Thanks!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Today, the situation is just as bad. In fact, the odor of raw sewage coming from the Gulf Trace out flow is worse today.

Are you sure it's not sulfur? We have a lot of that in our water around here. Smells more like rotten eggs.

There are a lot of septic tanks in Gulf Trace though. Usually the gulf current is east to west. Also after a storm other stuff gets stirred up from creeks, wetlands, and lakes.

I think I'll go check it out.