• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I've always thought SoWal could market itself as "the Culinary Coast" or something like that. Emeril could be huge for biz here.

Then again maybe the dough should be given to Elam Stoltzfus for the coastal dune lakes documentary he wants to do.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/vide...-Emeril-Lagasse-to-host-Florida-based-TV-show

Celebrity Chef Emeril Lagasse announced plans today for a new Florida-based television show that will focus on cooking and travel, with the first episode in January slated to be about Orlando.

"Emeril Florida" will feature Lagasse exploring the dining and entertainment options of the Sunshine State. It is slated to air on the Cooking Network, Channel 180 on Bright House Networks.

"It's about what this great state offers,'' Lagasse said. "So it's not just about cooking, it's not just restaurants, although that's a nice chunk of it. But it's about the beaches, it's about fishing, it's about farming, it's about the agriculture.

"When people think about Florida, of course, they think about sunshine and how beautiful it is. They don't really know the variety, to the extent of what is really here. There's so much here it's incredible."

In Orlando, Lagasse visited places such as the Ravenous Pig, Vines, the Ice Bar and Cask & Larder.

The show will run on weekend mornings and a couple of other times during the week. Exact dates and times are expected to be announced in late November or early December.

Lagasse announced his new television show while at the 45th Annual Governor's Conference on Tourism, which is being held at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld.

Central Florida is home to two of Lagasse's restaurants, Emeril's Orlando and Emeril's Tchoup Chop, which are both located at the Universal Orlando Resort.

The food media titan has hosted more than 2,000 shows on the Food Network and authored more than a dozen cookbooks, according to a biography posted on his web site.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Wow - calling people names is uneccesary. If I was disrespectful I apologize. WHat does "left" mean? If people are forced into your box and are that black and whit to you I feel sorry for you. Diversity of style and opinion is what makes the world a beautiful place. So is tolerance and understanding. Your use of the term reveals you as a narrow-minded, one-sided bigot.

Dawn, apparently a post to which I was referring, just before mine, was deleted by SOWAL staff and referred to me as being from the left and therefore unable to be reasoned with. Your use of the terms "narrow-minded" and "one-sided bigot" only serve to expose your own biases.

1amos1

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2011
Dawn I have no personal issue because I don't personally know you. I only know what I have observed as a tax collector while you have headed the TDC. You have been driving the truck and you have responsibility for it's direction, a direction I don't feel has been all that responsible.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
I think this forum should organize a weekly location somewhere on 30a so each of you can face each other live and launch attacks. I would expect that the level of personal attacks would be significantly lower. May I suggest before you launch electronic attacks you may want to consider if you would actually say what you are typing to someone's face. Maybe use that as a basis for your commentary on the forum and we could continue to have productive discussions. I love this forum, but sometimes its like a person gets absolutely obliterated for their point of view. I think this forum is great way to expose matters that have been developed behind closed doors. Providing transparency to government servants is the first step to check potential problems. Please do not ruin it by turning this into a personal attack forum.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
I suggest the location for the weekly meeting be the Dothan Ave. beach walk over. New housing construction has resulted in this walk over being destroyed by storm water run off - the dirt that now covers the white sand is a disgrace. I don't know about $150,000 and Emeril but the fact the TDC has not taken care of this once beautiful walk over is simply a dereliction of a primary duty/responsibility - and please don't pass the buck to the county and department of public works. This is blocking and tackling - fix the problem and fix it now!

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Renowned author, chef and television celebrity Emeril Lagasse delighted attendees at the 45th Annual Florida Governor’s Conference on Tourism held September 5-7 in Orlando with a surprise appearance and announcement that in 2013 he will host a national television series on the Cooking Channel. Titled Emeril’s Florida, the show has thirteen episodes planned, with each airing multiple times, reaching millions of viewers. South Walton is among a very few award-winning destinations to be exclusively featured in dedicated episodes, amounting to feature-length exposure for the destination Mr. Lagasse calls home.

In addition to multiple airings, Visit South Walton will benefit from value-added components including a 30-second ad spot within the episode, two video vignettes from the episode for use on digital platforms, signature recipes, photos releases and episode billboards. According to Jon Ervin, director of marketing and communications for Visit South Walton, “The value of just one 30-second commercial on a national television series airing a half dozen times would be sizeable, but in this special case our destination will be woven through an entire episode. In addition to that exceptional benefit, demographics indicate a viewership with an appetite for travel in addition to culinary offerings, and better yet the whole thing receives 50 percent of its funding from VISIT FLORIDA.”

The Governor’s Conference was designed and coordinated by VISIT FLORIDA, the official tourism marketing corporation for the state of Florida as the premier educational event for the Florida tourism industry. A highly anticipated part of the conference is the presentation of Flagler Awards, which recognize outstanding achievement in Florida tourism marketing. Visit South Walton was presented four awards, including Silver Awards in the Niche Marketing category for its wedding ad and in the Radio Advertising category for its “Definitions” ad. The Northwest Florida destination won Bronze Awards for its Visitor Guide and television ad titled “The Things You Take.”

Dawn Moliterno, executive director of Visit South Walton, said, "The Flagler Awards represent the pinnacle of tourism marketing in a state that is the number one travel destination in the world, and we could not be more proud to be recognized for our efforts. These are further proof that our team does an outstanding job of promoting one of the most beautiful beach destinations in the world, and advancing an industry with an estimated billion dollar annual impact in Walton County alone.”

Among VISIT FLORIDA’s future marketing initiatives is promotion at the hugely popular Florida versus Florida State football game on November 24, 2012. Dubbed the Sunshine Showdown, this interstate rivalry delivers a national audience in a platform ideal for promoting Florida tourism. Visit South Walton will participate in Florida State University's Parents’ Weekend October 12-13, 2012, which coincides with the Boston College football match-up. Marketing strategies will engage consumers with incentives including hundreds of $50 BP gas cards on the 40th anniversary of Tallahassee's Downtown GetDown on Friday and prior to the Saturday game.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I think this forum should organize a weekly location somewhere on 30a so each of you can face each other live and launch attacks. I would expect that the level of personal attacks would be significantly lower. May I suggest before you launch electronic attacks you may want to consider if you would actually say what you are typing to someone's face. Maybe use that as a basis for your commentary on the forum and we could continue to have productive discussions. I love this forum, but sometimes its like a person gets absolutely obliterated for their point of view. I think this forum is great way to expose matters that have been developed behind closed doors. Providing transparency to government servants is the first step to check potential problems. Please do not ruin it by turning this into a personal attack forum.

Thank you forum cop. :lol: I don't see much malice going on just a few jabs.

30A Eats

Beach Lover
Dec 14, 2011
30A
www.30aeats.com
I have no issue with Emeril being the brand for marketing South Walton, like the idea, but do have a hope locals are to be chosen to participate in the TV show.; not that I have inside information that this will/will not happen. In my work of food writing, and being the owner of 30AEATS.com, I have gotten to know personally many of our great chefs, restaurateurs, fisherman and kitchen talent in our area. They should be highlighted, as Florida has always been the proverbial red-headed step child in the foodie world, and Emeril has the fan base to showcase our area talent and draw the attention that the TDC is looking for. If it is to be more Emeril
focused, then it is not helping our community. Many have problems with the TDC for many reasons, one being from the bad taste they got from the TDC looking outside our local population for talent to handle the name change from Beaches of South Walton to Visit South Walton. I won't get into the details, as all pretty much is aware, I just hope it does not happen again, and the chefs that cook in many of our beautiful restaurant kitchens will finally be seen and heard, and we can share out wonderful 30AEATS (SoWal Eats) with the world!