• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TheZohan

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2010
Defuniak Springs
The FBI’s investigation of at least one Walton County transaction has widened to include city employees.

Federal agents issued subpoenas late last month requesting that Freeport Mayor Mickey Marse provide them with the employment file of City Planner Latilda Henninger.

The FBI also ordered Marse to provide any communication between Henninger and himself, members of the City Council and any city official concerning work performed by Henninger “outside the scope of her employment as city planner.”

The Daily News obtained the documents from a Freedom of Information request to Freeport.

The subpoenas specifically sought communication pertaining to Henninger’s “application, approval and/or denial of any request to contract and/or perform professional services.”

Along with her city job, Henninger runs a company called Henninger Development Concepts with her husband.

The Freeport-based company has been registered as a business in Florida since 2005, according to the Florida Division of Corporations. The company was founded the same year Henninger was hired by the city.

Internet listings for Henninger Development Concepts say little other than that it offers “professional, scientific, and technical services.”

Henninger was out of town Wednesday on city business. Efforts to reach her or anyone at the family business were unsuccessful.

Henninger’s name also appeared in an FBI subpoena for Walton County records that was issued in June.

That subpoena sought communication between Walton County commissioners, Jay Odom — who developed the Hammock Bay subdivision in Freeport — and Henninger, among others.

It also sought documents from Freeport 860 and Crystal Beach Development, both Odom business interests, and Henninger Development Concepts.

The Walton County subpoena also sought records “pertaining to any cost-sharing, financing or interlocal agreement between Walton County and the city of Freeport" linked to the development of the 60-acre Freeport Regional Sports Complex.

Odom began developing the Hammock Bay subdivision in 2006. In 2007, he announced he would donate 60 acres (worth an estimated $12 million) to Freeport so the city could partner with Walton County to build the sports complex.

The complex opened in 2008. It offers fields for softball, T-ball, baseball and soccer. It also has basketball and tennis courts, beach volleyball courts, a playground, gardens and nature trails.

The agreement in question called for Walton County, which had already put $5 million toward the sports complex, to clear and construct three baseball fields in Freeport.

Freeport, in return, offered to provide engineering plans, obtain permitting and provide a legal description of the property where the baseball fields would be built.

Also as part of its most recent inquiry, the FBI subpoenaed Freeport City Clerk Robin Haynes.

It ordered her to provide a grand jury with the minutes of City Council meetings since Jan. 1, 2005, and copies of all planning board meetings for the same time period.

Federal agents requested any communication in which Haynes or any city official “issued a valuation or opinion pertaining to the potential usage of any real property located within the city of Freeport.”

It also sought all communications in which Haynes or other city officials discussed the value or use of property within the city “with any private citizen, private corporation or government official.”

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/freeport-52290-include-probe.html#ixzz26L7oFSU2

Last edited by a moderator:

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Surely Walton County's wonderful elected officials haven't done anything wrong. I'm sure Mr. Odom contibuted lots of money to Walton County politicians out of his "deep concern" for the citizens of the county. I don't see where he or any of his companies have given any money to our "public servants" this year, but 04 and 08 a lot of money was passed out. In 08 good old Carlene got $6000 along with thousands from the other big contributor.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Isn't it funny that people mentioned in all the investigations of wrongdoing in Walton and Okaloosa seem to include a big contributor to Republican politicians. I'm amazed at people who shrug off the money connections between politicians and their benefactors. The mess involving the county commissioner from Niceville underscores this concern. The great (in his own mind) Sen. Gaetz said his daddy told him to 'follow the money'. If you follow the money for Walton County's elected officials it leads to the same people. When old rich people living in places like Kelley Plantation give thousands to virtually all of Walton county's elected officials I have to ask why and what do they want.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't think it is any secret they want consideration when they ask for it and expect to be replied to when they ask a question. That said, I have never quiered a County Commissioner that I didn't receive an answer. I see a lot of angst posted here that I would bet 10 to 1 was never brought to ANY County Commissioner's attention. Do I always get what I request? No. Do I get a response? Yes. I, for one, am getting tired of people knocking those very people they elected to serve us. If you don't like an elected official and think they are crooked, post some facts or shut the hell up!

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I write to my representatives all the time. And of course I e-mail them. I live in District one. Scott Brannon has never responded to any inquiries. Mildred Wilkerson has never responded. Rep. Brad Drake has responded every time I have contacted him or his office. Sen. Gaetz has never responded. My view is that the law limiting individual campaign contributions was passed with some purpose in mind. However, if millionaire developers and billionaire landowners own or are in control of dozens of entities and each give $500 to our elected officials, that reeks of impropriety. Obviously I'm not planning to be facebook pals with these people and I don't want have wine and cheese at Seaside with them. I usually vote for the people who don't get money from the big dawgs.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have sat in Representative Drakes office and asked him point blank his position on an issue and he said he was staying out of the issue, not sure if I would consider that and answer.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I have sat in Representative Drakes office and asked him point blank his position on an issue and he said he was staying out of the issue, not sure if I would consider that and answer.

My point was only that Rep. Drake responded. He didn't answer my questions but he did respond. The others didn't even send a canned response. Even the governors office does that. I suspect that if you are going to slobber all over them with praise they might reply.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Did I read it right? I saw a report that a DeFuniak Springs policeman was fired by the city for giving public information to the FBI. Isn't that what law enforcement is supposed to do?