• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Andres Duany, projecting 30 years out:will devolve to much smaller increments, more levels like community homeowners associations, and even street associations. It will be like what de Tocqueville noticed in America (many civic associations and groups), except they'll be geographically based."
2. What will remain in place? "The old street grids and the horizontal infrastructure will still be around. In a place like Detroit, you may scrape the houses away, but the streets and sewers will still be there." (This will influence how old cities such as Detroit are redeveloped.)
3. What change will please Americans most? "How much they'll be able to economize by living in New Urbanist communities. They'll have more time and disposable income. They'll live more efficiently."

Very interesting to hear from people with vision and a look to the future. There are not too many people who look beyond next week. too bad.

Seaside owners and planners have always shaped their town with a very, very long range vision. But the problem with the town is that it is a tourist resort - not really a residential town although many locals live there. So, there is no real reduction in cars or traffic (in fact, quite the opposite). It is true that once you get there, perhaps you don't need your car to enjoy the town. Still, if you live there, it must be a hassle to endure the crowds during the summer. But, for most of the year, it would be very pleasant indeed.

I really appreciated this post about the future of Seaside and the area by Robert D, just recently:
http://sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/62570-Seaside-Story?highlight=robert+davis

Last edited:

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
Agree! I live in a new urbanist neighborhood like Seaside but in Colorado (same designers even) and here it's all year round residents. We have a super stong sense of community here--I know all my neighbors which I in part attribute to the design of the neighborhood (front porches, walkable, parks, downtown area).

I often wonder how the high number of short term rentals affects this aspect for people living full or part time in the new urbanist neighborhoods on 30A, it must make it harder to connect with neighbors I would imagine. I would love to live part time down there and part up here but that factor really causes me hesitation as knowing my neighbors is one of the best things about living where I do now.

I've seen the future plans for Seaside and like them, I personally prefer higher density which is why I like Rosemary Beach, but they have GOT to do something about parking. One of the new urbanist places here built parking structures on the periphery but can't imagine where they could put such a thing in Seaside. Offsite parking with a trolley system is the best suggestion I've heard, but implementing that is complicated also. I have faith they will figure out something, they do design very well.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I live on the bay like many full time residents. But we enjoy visiting seaside and rosemary beach. I do lots of shopping and dining there. We love the festivals and farmers market and outdoor concerts You might really appreciate living full time or part time just about anywhere in SoWal. It is a small town feel where everyone knows everyone. The people who live here are either long time locals or folks who have chosen SoWal for their home for many good reasons. The folks who have relocated here are usually very eager to be here and bring a lot of good energy. They are quite involved in the community and do much to make it better than ever. I've watched change. It inevitable and mostly positive. Except for the Walmart that finally came to town. But lots of folks like its convenience. Lots don't. Some of us think that when Walmart comes then it's time to move on. But SoWal is too special to ever leave.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think Seaside could see more residents as owners age and move there full time and it could get back to living as the community was designed. I also think we will continue to see the overall population grow and businesses move away from catering to tourists. Still many empty lots all over sowal, which is why we need to focus on infrastructure instead of drawing more tourism.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
So nice to hear it has a small town feeling in SoWal, I love it so much and that was the only thing I was a bit concerned about. I am super social and community involved, without neighborhood/area gossip I wouth wither away LOL.