• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I hope that everyone remembers that it is important for SWHS to improve and have as much community support as possible. This school will be serving 90% of the kids, and I have said it before and I will say it again, if the parents that are always looking for greener grass would put the same effort towards SWHS, the effect would be transforming. I don't understand why is it easier to start a new school instead of work to improve and add programs to the one that already exists- if everyone got together, I am certain that we would have quite a strong group to work to get what we need here, including fundraising for more technology and teacher incentives. There is no reason why SWHS can't be one of the strongest schools in the state- we have the parent base down here to do it.

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
I hope that everyone remembers that it is important for SWHS to improve and have as much community support as possible. This school will be serving 90% of the kids, and I have said it before and I will say it again, if the parents that are always looking for greener grass would put the same effort towards SWHS, the effect would be transforming. I don't understand why is it easier to start a new school instead of work to improve and add programs to the one that already exists- if everyone got together, I am certain that we would have quite a strong group to work to get what we need here, including fundraising for more technology and teacher incentives. There is no reason why SWHS can't be one of the strongest schools in the state- we have the parent base down here to do it.

Also a VERY good point! Thanks for sharing....I know people like options, I kinda like your suggestion much better!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Also a VERY good point! Thanks for sharing....I know people like options, I kinda like your suggestion much better!

I think it would be great to have a SWHS campus- with the high school, a Collegiate High School-type model for those who want it, dual enrollment (that is already there), even more AP options- multiple options on one campus, all kids can participate in the activities and sports together. This is no longer a wealthy county in terms of school taxes collected- so to get the "mack daddy" public school, it is going to be up to us to find the funding. All of us.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011

I agree with you in theory. We do have a strong parent base. Sadly, they are walking with their feet, so to speak to Okaloosa County. I understand why. While I would like to think that I am committed to improving the educational environment for all students for years to come, that would not be completely honest. I, like all parents, am focused foremost on making the best decisions for my child -- not all children. The larger issue (investing in improving SWHS v. going to Collegiate) falls by the wayside for most of us. Fortunately, my child is only in second grade. I have some time to invest. I will invest it. If for no other reason, so that I do not have to drive all the way from 30a to Niceville twice a day to drop off and pick up my child from school! :)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree with you in theory. We do have a strong parent base. Sadly, they are walking with their feet, so to speak to Okaloosa County. I understand why. While I would like to think that I am committed to improving the educational environment for all students for years to come, that would not be completely honest. I, like all parents, am focused foremost on making the best decisions for my child -- not all children. The larger issue (investing in improving SWHS v. going to Collegiate) falls by the wayside for most of us. Fortunately, my child is only in second grade. I have some time to invest. I will invest it. If for no other reason, so that I do not have to drive all the way from 30a to Niceville twice a day to drop off and pick up my child from school! :)

I am an optimist about this because to be anything else is unproductive. This community manages to do some really amazing things, and I am puzzled about the school thing- I know that choice of options is very important, but maybe we are going for too many options for a community of our size? Why can't some of the choices and options that parents want be somehow incorporated into one school? With our lack of dollars, wouldn't it be smart to expand and enhance what we have, instead of adding more stress by wanting a new school to the already stressed budget of the county (I am talking about the charter school in this example).

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
I'm speaking as a former teacher. I taught for 27 years in another state and when my husband retired we moved to Walton county where we had owned a home for 20 years. I had no trouble getting a teaching job in an elementary school and was told the district wanted experienced teachers. I started teaching when I was 21 with no interruption in service until 2010. I feel that I'm a good teacher but after 4 years in Walton county with excellent student performance and good evaluations, I was told to clean my room out on the last day of school. I would love to know the reason. What did I do wrong? Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was being paid a salary based on my years of experience and my masters degree. I was replaced with an entry level teacher from Washington County. I taught first grade and my kids had great test scores. These are facts and I can document them, since there have been calls for the truth in this discussion.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
I am an optimist about this because to be anything else is unproductive. This community manages to do some really amazing things, and I am puzzled about the school thing- I know that choice of options is very important, but maybe we are going for too many options for a community of our size? Why can't some of the choices and options that parents want be somehow incorporated into one school? With our lack of dollars, wouldn't it be smart to expand and enhance what we have, instead of adding more stress by wanting a new school to the already stressed budget of the county (I am talking about the charter school in this example).

It would make more sense dollar wise to enhance what we have. Make our high school more appealing to the honors and easier for them to navigate through to college as well as make it more enjoyable for those who are not honors and seem to be left to struggle through and make it through to college.

Seriously - would a difference really be made if all the parents that are wanting a charter school would put their efforts into making changes at the current high school? I am not familiar with how changes need to be made, however I'm sure the people who have undertaken the responsibility of getting the charter school info out there and are organizing that must know how to make the changes at the high school. Seems like re-inventing the wheel... especially with the NWFSC campus right there next to the high school - why not put our efforts into those?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
To the people who claim everything is hunky dory, those of us who are parents only want the best for our children and conduct from elected school officials to act in an ethical manner. We have concerns and questions aren't answered by those who can answer them. The truth is that some excellent teachers have been dismissed for undisclosed reasons and teachers who are still teaching live in a world of fear and intimidation. The teachers with tenure can be thankful for job security. And thanks to Florida's political machine, new teachers can look forward to being dismissed even if they do a great job.