• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The problem must be related to the dune lake flushings into the gulf unless the bacteria is also showing up in the bay but ultimately the bacteria comes from our digestive systems...

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Could it be from the bay flushing into the gulf? Does anyone know if they are testing at the mouth of rivers, bayous and creeks? The county really needs to hire a biologist and a civil engineer because I doubt this problem will clear up on it's own.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Wonder why sites #2 and #6 are missing? Probably need to add some testing sites at the mouth of the feeder creeks and bayous. I am also wondering why there is not more of an attempt to find the problem. It is kind of like we are "wishing" a problem away which has never worked for me...

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I called the Walton County Health department three times this summer and emailed once to ask if anyone is doing anything to investigate the cause of the elevated bacteria levels in their tests this season. No response. Maybe if others call they might come up with some response.

Other than the health department, who would have answers for something like this?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I called the Walton County Health department three times this summer and emailed once to ask if anyone is doing anything to investigate the cause of the elevated bacteria levels in their tests this season. No response. Maybe if others call they might come up with some response.

Other than the health department, who would have answers for something like this?

This is from the bottom of the page at the state health dept where the results are listed:
If you have questions or concerns please contact the Department of Health, Water Programs Section at (850) 245-4250.

I would also call Walton County Commissioners individually.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I am not surprised. I was walking on the beach very early one morning and I saw what looked like a lot of charcoal all over down the whole beach. I realized they were very hard tar balls. There must be a lot of that still out there for there to be that much on the beach. Also I don't know about the drinking water either. I started giving my cats and my dog tap water after giving them bottled water for a long time. They drank more of it and two of them started throwing up. The dog had diahrea and was throwing up. Someone mentioned the water to me and I dumped it out and gave them bottled water. The dogs diahrea went away and no one is throwing up anymore. When the cat threw up it was just a lot of water. I know they tell you sometimes about t he bacteria and you should boil your water, but what about when they are not telling you and should. I love the beach, but it really worries me to go swimming in the water and I would never drink the tap water. I have to buy a lot of water for everybody, but it is worth it. The dog was very sick and I took him to the vet. So far I have spent over $200. When I went back to bottled water he did stop with the diahrea, but was still throwing up a little bit. That is getting better as well. I am waiting for a result of a stool sample to be sure he does not have a parasite. I really don't think he does since he is back to normal pretty much. I would have never thought about the water had someone not mentioned it to me. They also appeared to drink much more of the tap water than the bottled water. Maybe something in it makes them thirstier. All I know is no more tap water for any of us. Thanks for all of the information

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I think the only viable solution is to sell the TDC on the idea of paying the Dirty Jobs TV show crew a modest sum to come down and film Mike Rowe removing septic tanks while pointing out the beauty of the area. Emeril could cater and Sussana Hoffs could write and perform a peppy theme song about dysentery. All for a small fee, of course.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I am not surprised. I was walking on the beach very early one morning and I saw what looked like a lot of charcoal all over down the whole beach. I realized they were very hard tar balls. There must be a lot of that still out there for there to be that much on the beach. Also I don't know about the drinking water either. I started giving my cats and my dog tap water after giving them bottled water for a long time. They drank more of it and two of them started throwing up. The dog had diahrea and was throwing up. Someone mentioned the water to me and I dumped it out and gave them bottled water. The dogs diahrea went away and no one is throwing up anymore. When the cat threw up it was just a lot of water. I know they tell you sometimes about t he bacteria and you should boil your water, but what about when they are not telling you and should. I love the beach, but it really worries me to go swimming in the water and I would never drink the tap water. I have to buy a lot of water for everybody, but it is worth it. The dog was very sick and I took him to the vet. So far I have spent over $200. When I went back to bottled water he did stop with the diahrea, but was still throwing up a little bit. That is getting better as well. I am waiting for a result of a stool sample to be sure he does not have a parasite. I really don't think he does since he is back to normal pretty much. I would have never thought about the water had someone not mentioned it to me. They also appeared to drink much more of the tap water than the bottled water. Maybe something in it makes them thirstier. All I know is no more tap water for any of us. Thanks for all of the information

Let me give you some money saving advice-give your critters tap water. Dogs and cats eat poo and thrive. So no worries.